• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE HIS HD 7950 IceQ X2 Boost Clock Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

HIS has added another member to its HD 7950 family of video cards; this time around we have another Boost Clock edition. The core clock is not quite as high as other HIS 7950s, but it's not at the bottom of the pecking order either. One thing that is not at the lower end is the IceQ X2 cooler that has been applied to this card. So, let's have a closer look and see if the HIS HD 7950 IceQ X2 Boost Clock is a worthy contender in the competitive HD 7950 market.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Nice review.

I'm wondering why they keep beefing up the card ad releasing improvements. Surely, people just want to wait for the 8000 series to release in a few months.

Great review. The pictures came out great. I would like an option to view pictures at high resolution though.

So after seeing this 3 piece heatsink I can't help but wonder how well a mcw60/82 would work hooked up to core, and then just using the stock heatsink plate. Or maybe epoxing a few larger heatsinks to stock plate with a fan or two.

Our picture size limit is 1000x800 pxls, for now anyway. We'll see what the future holds in that regard.

As far as cooling goes, a water block would do well on the core. The heatsink plate will need some airflow to work well though, so you are on the right track there too.

The IceQ X2 cooler does a pretty darn good job though, I'd definitely recommend trying it out before diving in to alternate cooling, you might be surprised how well it works.

They simply want to get ride of theyr old chips so its the best time to put some additional value inside, in order to make it even more attractive. Mainly for people who do not wish to wait for the newer series. Prehaps they will get a 7000 and when a good aftermarket 8000 is arriving they simply will sell the old 7000. It will still take many months for a good aftermarket 8000 to hit the market.

Thanks for the excellent review.

I just purchased this card and am interested in using thermal pads on it's memory chips. I've never done this before. Could you link me to a guide and/or recommend what brand and thickness of pad to use? I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks so much.

Thanks for the excellent review.

I just purchased this card and am interested in using thermal pads on it's memory chips. I've never done this before. Could you link me to a guide and/or recommend what brand and thickness of pad to use? I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks so much.

There are a few examples on the forum where people have done this. I suggest you search the videocard section. There are probably quite a few tutorials on youtube as well.

Just joined up, wanted to say hi and share my little bit of fun installing my HIS IceQ x2 7950 in my mid-sized Thermaltake Soprano case. for those of you not familiar with this exact iteration of the 7950.. its not the reference 29cm... its 32cm not that either card was meant to fit in this case.

2013-12-23%2020.54.19edit.jpg

2013-12-23%2020.55.39edit.jpg

2013-12-23%2020.55.45edit.jpg

2013-12-23%2021.44.16edit.jpg

2013-12-23%2021.44.02edit.jpg

2013-12-23%2018.28.17.jpg

After getting it installed and all my cables re-routed, computer wouldn't turn back on, turned out to be the power supply.

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W Modular PSU lasted 2 months short of 5 years. Im not going to search for my receipt and bug them about the 5 year warranty. I got my money's worth out of it. I bought their new model to replace it.

I liked how you cut the case. looks good and clean.

congrats on new card.

Back