• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ADATA 8GB XPG DDR3-2800 Memory Kit Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

adata-xpg-2800-08.jpg

Single-sided Hynix MFR ICs have been making the rounds through various manufacturers recently. I didn't give G.Skill a pass for them when they came through last time. They just don't have the performance to go with the MHz due to the timing compromises needed for these kinds of frequencies. ADATA is here to give it a try this time. Let's hope they reverse the performance sacrifices made for the MHz. Hey, if nothing else, MFR kits are always fun to see how far they can be pushed!

... Return to article to continue reading.

Nice review :thup:
The only thing that I dislike in these series is heatspreader design. Depends from PCB it's really close to resistors or is nearly touching them.
I don't really like how it looks like too but that's less important thing as you can't see most of the memory when it's installed in PC.

This proves that its not all about MHZ... 2600Mhz RAM blew the doors off 2933. But we should also keep in mind the timings..

so 2600Mhz ram with 10-12-12-31, will win against 12-14-14-35 @ 2933Mhz..

So the synopsis is; Stick with 1600Mhz ram with 9-9-9-24 timings... I would love to see that comparison...

I've asked for some 1600 / 7-8-8-24 kit from G.Skill but haven't heard back yet. That's the one I'm excited to see. The problem is ALL of them are pushing these high MHz kits right now because they think the "WOW" factor of DDR3-3400 on air is something to get excited about. Yes, it makes people say "wow"....but then they go buy something cheaper because it doesn't mean a darn thing to them. No memory manufacturer is getting that right now. They're all on this MHz-at-all-costs kick and, in case you can't tell, I am not a fan of this trend.

I am a fan of overclocking these kits though, it IS a blast to do if you enjoy memory overclocking. However, to the layperson it's just not worth the money.

I have 4x2GB DDR3-1600 7-8-7-24 and 4x2GB DDR3-1600 6-6-6-20 in case you don't get/hear anything from G.Skill. They just aren't high-density sticks.

Wow, nice gold, need a solid gold heatsink (and a small one at that) to match.

But yeah $360 for RAM is nuts, I wish the RAM prices would go back down :*(

Well, anything over 2400 has always been pretty expensive. I think $300 for 4x4GB DDR3-2666 is about the most I'll pay for a kit.

The best real world use for high speed ram, IMO is a gaming APU rig. That said, sticks this expensive probably wouldn't apply.

I've asked for some 1600 / 7-8-8-24 kit from G.Skill but haven't heard back yet. That's the one I'm excited to see. The problem is ALL of them are pushing these high MHz kits right now because they think the "WOW" factor of DDR3-3400 on air is something to get excited about. Yes, it makes people say "wow"....but then they go buy something cheaper because it doesn't mean a darn thing to them. No memory manufacturer is getting that right now. They're all on this MHz-at-all-costs kick and, in case you can't tell, I am not a fan of this trend.

I am a fan of overclocking these kits though, it IS a blast to do if you enjoy memory overclocking. However, to the layperson it's just not worth the money.

wow, 7-8-8-24.. That's got to be freakin shweet!!

Do you have any Hypers laying around? I'd be interested to see 1600-6-6-6 too.

Unfortunately, I never owned any hypers. The best RAM I ever owned were psc kits and both went to the IMOG benching cause. Then he killed one from each kit....but they clocked the same so he still has one good kit.

If you compare results on haswell then better look at multithreaded benchmarks. That's one of reasons why new AIDA64 is showing much higher transfers - tests are now based on more than one thread.
Still higher memory clock = higher writes and lower latency. In most benchmarks memory read bandwidth is what counts most and this is generally based on balanced high clock and tight timings.

here are results on hypers @1600 6-6-6-20 1N

hyp.jpg

....and ADATA has just sent out a press release that they've released a DDR3-3100 kit. I think Massman had the best reaction.

Too many suckers consumers, even those that don't buy this kind of kit, see the frequencies and oooh & ahhh over them. The reason these things are successful is because people don't know any better. They won't know any better as long as respected sites like TPU (and pretty much everyone other than us AFAIK) show bad performance then proceed to give them awards like "highly recommended" on a page titled value & conclusion.

:facepalm:

My new goal: find and review current kits (not hyper, PSC or BBSE that aren't manufactured, which is pretty much why I haven't jumped at Matt's offer to test his....you can't get them, so there isn't a whole lot of a point) that cost a lot less and perform better than these kits. We have two single-sided MFR kits already being out-performed by a cheaper one in both our reviews. Now it's time to get more out there. After this next G.Skill review I shall hunt other brands and review them too. Fight the madness! :attn:

New double sided CFR are not that bad if you look at performance even though main timings are really relaxed but they're not overclocking good ( at least not these that I was testing ) ... so I guess that we don't have big choice with new IC. Maybe Samsung will show something better.

Back