• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom 965 BE for FX-4300 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Up your CPU-NB to 2400.
You moght be able to hit 3.9GHz...

Upped the NB to 2400 and bumped the clock to 3.8Ghz, ran Prime and got BSOD after like...30 seconds.

I lowered the NB to 2200 @3.8 and got it too..after a minute.

How about those voltages? Should I increase them along with the NB ?

Basics !!
Well, I tried to get it up to 3.8Ghz again at 2400 HT and 1.4 vcore, but "Worker 3" stopped working after about a minute during Prime.

My processor is a rascal!

poke a little more vcore to it. it's going to take 1.4 or so.
this is why we overclock in steps.

1.425 vcore set in BIOS. Got the same error in Prime - Worker 3 stopped working.

I am idling at 40C, which doesnt give me much headroom during priming having only 15C to play with.

Like was said earlier move your NB back to 2400 even 2500. Up the CPU_NB to about 1.25 ish add a bit more if necessary. I don't remember what I need for 3.8 but 3.9 I use 1.476v for stable.Now I'm not saying yours does but these chips get really thirsty the faster they go. I think you're close with the 1.425 for 3.8. NB needs to speed up to support the CPU.

Thanks for your advice guys.

I've put it back to the stable 3.7Ghz on 1.375 vcore and 2000 HB for now as I am going to sleep. Tomorrow I'll try out your suggestions. Will post the results/progress!

I recently overclocked my 965. I needed 1.48v to get 4ghz stable (46-48*C under water)

I needed 1.55v to get 4.2ghz stable. I am running a UD3 board as well however my chipset is a 990fx.

Phenom II chips can handle 1.5v for a while (at least in my experience) as long as you keep the load temps under 60C. Shoot for 55.

Also keep in mind that you may need to up your northbridge/cpu voltage when overclocking the NB. I run my NB at 1.375-1.4v for 2600-2800mhz. Not all systems are the same but in my past experience, those numbers are about right.

I do have a freak Phenom II that is running in a different machine. 1.375 volt on the cpu and northbridge/cpu while at 4ghz and 2800mhz on the NB. I have never seen that out of a phenom II before.. so im not surprised 1.375 volt is too little for your 3.8+ overclock.

Like the others have said on the previous page, the new FX chips are not a good choice unless you get the 6-8 core chips and run them at higher clocks. 4.5ghz seems to be the sweet spot to get them performing just as good as the phenom in single threaded apps. When it comes to highly threaded programs, the FX will run away from the Phenom as long as it has a nice OC.

hope that helps, your CPU choice right now is more than capable in current games with your current GPU. Id wait to upgrade and see what is on the horizon for intel and AMD.

Basics !!
Well, I tried to get it up to 3.8Ghz again at 2400 HT and 1.4 vcore, but "Worker 3" stopped working after about a minute during Prime.

My processor is a rascal!

Keep the HT-Link @2000MHz. ABove 2100/2200MHz it creates instability.

Only the CPU-NB has to be increased.

So, I tried following -

The CPU speed was always 3.8Ghz
NB - 2400
Vcore - Ranging from 1.4-1.475
NB Voltage - 1.105-1.200

So far I am always getting the same result - One of the workers stops working right after I start Prime..after about 20 secs. It's kinda strange but at least it's notn a BSOD.

I just realized I was upping NB Voltage and not CPU NB VID voltage. Terrible mistake on my part! All numbers above 1.2 in NB Voltage controls were red and that's where it dawned on me...
I am priming now for about 5 mins without an issue at 1.45 vcore, 3.8Ghz, 2400 NB and 1.25v CPU-NB. Temperatures went 52 max so far.

You might be able to lower the vCore further.

You should not need more than 1.4/1.42v for 3.8GHz.

I will let it Prime for about an hour+ to see if it's stable at these settings. I definitely want to lower the vcore as I don't like the temps a bit...1.4 looks like a fine number to me!

These are the readings after about 20 mins of blend...

Back