• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom 965 BE for FX-4300 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Primed for an hour and a half with no issues. Highest temp was 54C, which is fine, but high to my liking. I'll leave it at that and try to lower the vcore later.

It's quite strange that some of the newer generation of CPU's can't match the older ones although the specs say otherwise...

Last edited:
Looks good to me. You have to remember that there really isn't much that you will do to heat your machine like P95 does. So the odds of you reaching those temps gaming or surfing are very slim. Also 1.44v is just fine, no worries of damage at that point.

Primed for an hour and a half with no issues. Highest temp was 54C, which is fine, but high to my liking.
Take into account that for daily usage you'll probably not ever stress the cpu as much as prime does.
It's quite strange that some of the newer generation of CPU's can't match the older ones although the specs say otherwise...
It all depends on the application, but in general, clock for clock in single threaded apps the older architecture will outperform the newer ones. Though for everyday use, my 8350 is definitely faster then my 955, which I run at 4.1.

Thanks for your help everyone! I've learnt something new, re-learned something old and refreshed my memory!
I love getting the OC bug ! :)

Anyways...I was browsing thorugh some articles and forums and I am quite impressed with the PII 965....looks like I'll stick to it for another year. I will have saved enough money for a new mobo, CPU, RAM and GPU by then I hope.

3.8Ghz isn't that bad after all. I won't push it to 3.9..maybe at the end as a last hurrah!

:welcome: Mitukczuk

You know you can even upgrade in smaller steps so the pain isn'r so bad all at onece. You could replace your ram with some 1866 and downclock it. Then at some point update your GPU. The 965 will still run it. That way when it comes time for a CPU and MOBO you may have a little better budget. Just thinking out loud here. :shrug:

Yep, I know. I did that in the past but it didn't work. I am increasingly impatient when I'm upgrading part by part...like a little child. So I need everything delivered at once so I can tinker and alter allll night. I love it!

It's probably because when I got my first pc, I switched it on and....there was no Windows installed, so I wated for two weeks until the guy came and actually installed it. Since then...I prefer to be childish for my own sake and sanity :D

Remember when OCing the Northbridge/CPU clock that prime does not necessarily stress that area until about 1.5-2 hours on blend.

Remember when OCing the Northbridge/CPU clock that prime does not necessarily stress that area until about 1.5-2 hours on blend.

Don't worry, I had planned to test it for 2+ hours...which I did and I can happily say that I lowered the vcore to 1.425 and had no issues in 2 and a half hour long blend. Even the temp dropped by 1C...it maxed at 53 this time.

That sounds about right. You may be able to get your NB to run 2600mhz at the same voltage if you feel like pushing it further. Most chips can get 2600mhz and some even 2800-3000mhz.

2600mhz seems to be the sweet spot for 3.8-4ghz overclocks.

For now I am quite content with how it turned out. I will push it during the weekend, but I like how the pc performs at these settings. But hey..where is a will, there is a way right? :D

Even though the 955BE is a nice CPU even in today's standard, I don't see why you wouldn't go with the FX 4350 over the 955BE. The 4350 stock GHz is 4.2 and its IPC is marginally faster.

Too bad my 955BE's pins got bent, and my X6 1090T is still a damn sweet CPU, but I'm happy with the 4350.

Man that was a good read and nice info on top of that. The switch will be inevitable in about a year but I am quite surprised how the PII 965 BE stands its ground against other new gen processors.

I had the same processor and posted a thread on here. Some guys helped me with my OC and I had mine at 4 ghz.

that up coming change is why I have a very hard time recomending an upgrade to fx, I see am3+ as a dead platform now.

Yep, I'm planning on keepin my PhII until the next AMD platform release and the FX9xxx series drop in price.

Back