• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU coins (XPM/PTS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZL1

Senior Crypto Caretaker
Ok, so I originally intended this thread as just a discussion on CPU mining, but its become more than that, people come here for how-tos as well so I will do just that :)

In this post I aim to discuss the CPU optimized or dedicated coins, in simple words, coins that are worth mining on your cpu, since the ones in the prime post are not worth mining on a CPU.

This post will have to be excused if out of date in time, because CPU coins will change and there are no major online hubs to which I could just point you to, I will have to list the actual coins right here. Currently the prime contenders are XPM (primecoin) and PTS (protoshares). These coins can be mined on just about any CPU, but I will recommend quad cores and newer, alternatively the power consumption may just outweigh the benefits.

Ok, now to business - mining CPU coins is very similar to mining GPU coins, you need a miner, a pool and a wallet or an exchange. I will note that the two major CPU-coin pools provide their own miners and are preset for running on their pool, most time you just need to update the .bat file (which comes with the archive) with your user and pass and run. So I will go right to the major pools, for both XPM and PTS the pools to use are:

Update: PTS revenue estimate now available here: http://mrx.im/pts.php (do not that it may not be entirely accurate). To get an estimate of what your CPU can do either search through this thread or here are a couple common results (from my own book):
i7 3770k @ 4.2 - 220c/m with beeer miner/280 c/m with ypool optimized yam miner
i5 2500 @ 3.3 - 120c/m with beer miner/160 c/m with ypool
i3 540 @ 4.0 - 80c/m with beer miner/120 c/m with ypool
as you can see mining PTS is definitely better on ypool, because of the yam optimized miner, however beeer does do better for XPM

Update GPU miners now available for PTS, including nVidia CUDA miners
see http://ptsweb.beeeeer.org/ for CUDA miner
see http://pts.1gh.com/ for Radeon miner

Update found some useful difficulty/profitability charts, helps decide which is better to mine.

P.S. I will keep updating this as much as I can, if it goes out of date, just post in the thread and I will wake up :)

Last edited:
Interesting concept, I wasn't sure about mining with the CPU I wouldn't have thought it would be worth the power costs. Curious to see the cost/spend ratio for a 4770k though.

well not bitcoin/litecoin :) but there are CPU only coins out there, like the ones I mentioned, currently MMC is the top contender for most profitable
a 4770k can run about same as my 3770k and can run you probably 4h/m which will yeild give or take 6-7 coins which at current rate means 0.004-0.005 btc, which is about $3-4 a day
this is a rough estimate though, also keep in mind these things fluctuate, both prices and more importantly difficulty :(

I dropped PTS a long time ago, I used to get 1 PTS/Day when it came out ,but before I quit PTS, I was getting 0.001 PTS/hour :(

Sig rig, i5-2300 Quad @ 2.8 Ghz

Id stick to PTS silver, that right is just right for it, ya it will take longer .. but XPM is just so low in price right now :(
well got any results to post ?

Id stick to PTS silver, that right is just right for it, ya it will take longer .. but XPM is just so low in price right now :(
well got any results to post ?

I may switch back to PTS--you made a good point.

Results? Sure:

~2 XPM/day with sig rig. (24 hours non-stop but diff was below 10...)

PTS was about 3 PTS/week (*when beeeeer set the PTS payout to 3.01 PTS)

Both on sig rig....
I need to measure LTC one day, but after my 6850 gets here.

needs current runs silver :) but thing is like I said long ago, XPM is best for older 2core or 32bit machines, PTS wants 64bit and 2+ cores, MMC generally wants 4 cores or more

needs current runs silver :) but thing is like I said long ago, XPM is best for older 2core or 32bit machines, PTS wants 64bit and 2+ cores, MMC generally wants 4 cores or more

Ok, here:

MMC: 1.45 Hashs/Min
XPM: 0.045 Chains/day (with 10+ diff) 1.15 Chains/Day (with diff under 10)

PTS: 80-100 C/m

All on sig rig: i5-2300

so 0.00178 BTC a day
did you try PTS ? I suggest you give it a try

I tried it once back while xpm was worth ~$6USD and the payout seemed so few and far between it didn't seem worth it at the time. Kinda hoping to see it get back up to that kinda value. Might give pts a shot, but they payout just seemed so low last time I tried.

nice, I can post my elaborate charts with roi and profitability and performance numbers... got Ltd of info regarding this. by far my favorite type of coins ( I think pts,xpm and mmc will be huge)

nice, I can post my elaborate charts with roi and profitability and performance numbers... got Ltd of info regarding this. by far my favorite type of coins ( I think pts,xpm and mmc will be huge)

please do Ivan, we need more info on cpucoins
I have my MMC evaluation, but not so much on PTS/XPM, I know for a fact that PTS is better than XPM, but exact figures would be good

please do Ivan, we need more info on cpucoins
I have my MMC evaluation, but not so much on PTS/XPM, I know for a fact that PTS is better than XPM, but exact figures would be good

PTS is worth more, but in my case, I'd *think* I would make more profit mining XPM.
It's worth less, but I can get paid much faster than I would PTS.....

Just my 2 cents here :chair:

EDIT: Beeeer has new beta stats/ user history!!! http://beta.beeeeer.org/
I also see that I found a block for them a few days ago!!!!! :rock:

Silver my point was if ur running 64bit with a quad core, u should get paid more with PTS too, not with MMC, that needs more power, but PTS yes
XPM is worth more only on slower 32bit boxes

if ur making 100c/m you should make more than 0.00178 BTC a day with PTS
but let me actully try an run a trial for you, I can run about 80c/m on my OCed i3 for 24hrs see exactly what PTS it brings :)

run that miner Ivan ? I saw it, I downloaded it too, but Im a bit weary to run it, dont know the guy and all that :D

Silver my point was if ur running 64bit with a quad core, u should get paid more with PTS too, not with MMC, that needs more power, but PTS yes
XPM is worth more only on slower 32bit boxes

if ur making 100c/m you should make more than 0.00178 BTC a day with PTS
but let me actully try an run a trial for you, I can run about 80c/m on my OCed i3 for 24hrs see exactly what PTS it brings :)

Thanks! I'll finish up mining XPM and mmc while you do that. I'm close to the payout barriers :)

run that miner Ivan ? I saw it, I downloaded it too, but Im a bit weary to run it, dont know the guy and all that :D

True, remember grom's miner? :-/

nope, never used that, what it do ?

Grom put his XPM address in the miner, so when you found shares with it, it would send some to grom's address...

as a "fee" for using his "high performance" miner (it wasn't really)

Sneaky guy...

EDIT: This ain't the right thread, but any news on another EAC exchange? I thought Cryptsy had it but I can't find it....

Back