• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

290x crossfire issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperMiguel

Super User
So while running 2 290x in crossfire mode, and eyefinity, 3 x ASUS VG248QE in landscape mode im having an issue with a monitor flickering.

Initially i had it connected like this: Left monitor DVI cable, right monitor DVI cable and middle monitor with DP cable, and while playing BF4 my left monitor will blink like this:
(was in portrait mode before), i tried different cables and same thing, i reloaded the drivers and same thing, tried using the beta driver and same thing... Then i tried another game titanfall, and ran it for a while and never had a flicker, so it looked like it was only with BF4, decided to try another game SMITE, and it flickers so its something that SMITE and BF4 have in common that cause this flickering... Then some one recommended changing my cable configuration to Left DP, Mid DVI, and Right DVI and now instead of the left one is the right one the one blinking and besides the blinks im getting artifacs when it blinks...

Any ideas?

I would start by narrowing down the problem. Since the issue follows when you swap cables, I'd start by trying another cable or swapping with your other DVI cable. The card I looked up had 4 outputs; can you swap the DVI output with the HDMI one?

If that does not help, break the Crossfire mode setup and try a single card if one can drive three monitors.

So this is what i tried... I disconected one of the cards, and played BF4 for about 30 min no blinks...then i swap cards, played BF4 for about 30 min and it worked no flickers... Then i plugged both cards in, played BF4 with CF off and it worked fine.. Finally i enabled crossfire again and it worked fine in this test my 2nd 290x was the primary, and had all the cables connected to it... Then i swapped the cables to my 1st card, redid the eyefinity group, loaded BF4 and within 2 minutes i get the flickers...

So if my 2nd card is primary and have all the monitors connected to it, it works flawless! but if i use my 1st card as primary (connect all monitors to it) then i get the flickering...

So not sure if its the PCI-e port or the card or driver issue.. I guess tomorrow i could swap them out, if it follows the card, then i got a bad one, if it doesnt then its either the slot or driver issue.

Back