• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is "GPU Rail Voltage" an indicator of 12V reliability on a PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How does anyone know their DMM is accurate and to what decimal place of accuracy?

How does anyone know their DMM is accurate and to what decimal place of accuracy?
I don't know. Perhaps by reading the specs? Don't they normally tell you the accuracy of the device in the specs somewhere?

I see it in the Fluke 87's manual, for example... they also tell you how to check and calibrate. (y)

I only have a cheap DMM so it has nothing in the manual on how to check or calibrate it. I'd expect a Fluke to calibrate itself.

@yoadknux
I'm using the octopus adapter cable for my 4090 -- 3 8-pin PCIe cables feed the octopus adapter, but one 8-pin PCIe connector on the octopus adapter is using an adapter to 3 separate molex cables (8-pin PCIe cables only have 3 +12V lines), because my seasonic 850gm PSU only has 3 8-pin PCIe cables. I was planning on adapting the 8-pin EPS CPU power cable to a 8-pin PCIe (since I don't use this seasonic PSU for anything 'cept powering the 4090). I bought the seasonic Gm850 5 years ago, I never figured any videocard would need more than 3 8-pin PCIe power connectors back then.
I actually did an experiment and bought a CableMod corsair compatiable 12VHPWR -> 4x PSU PCI-E (not the octopus, direct cable). My RM850x doesn't have enough outputs for it so I put the HX1200 back.
The voltage drop is identical, ~11.8V under max load. So this debunks the "more connectors = less current = less drop" that I wrote earlier.
But the 12V input + GPU input are ~0.018V apart so the connection is fine. And the motherboard voltage drops from 12.168V -> 12.096V so on the PSU side of things it should be fine.

I actually did an experiment and bought a CableMod corsair compatiable 12VHPWR -> 4x PSU PCI-E (not the octopus, direct cable). My RM850x doesn't have enough outputs for it so I put the HX1200 back.
The voltage drop is identical, ~11.8V under max load. So this debunks the "more connectors = less current = less drop" that I wrote earlier.
But the 12V input + GPU input are ~0.018V apart so the connection is fine. And the motherboard voltage drops from 12.168V -> 12.096V so on the PSU side of things it should be fine.
That makes a lot of sense to me because just adding another cable will not have any affect on the output.

...or it just means you have quality connectors. More/shitty ones can cause drop/problems.;)

EDIT: Here you go... it's about cars, but electric is electric and it CAN cause a significant drop (contrary to what the peanut gallery says). It SHOULDN"T drop a lot, but again, if they are shitty connectors or malfunctioning, they absolutely can cause voltage drops.

Manufacturers know how much voltage each of their connections, switch contacts, or lengths of wire will drop. Connectors are listed as having a voltage drop across them based on each amp that flows through them. Small connectors can cause a voltage drop of 4mVolts per amp, whereas, large connectors can cause a voltage drop of 10mVolt per amp. Each connector is rated to handle a certain amount of amperage based on the physical size of their blades or pins. Vehicle connector blade sizes used today range from .8mm (.032 Inches) to 8.0mm (.315 inches). Their amperage carrying ratings range from 0 to 15A, 25A, and 33A for the most common connectors in use.

A small connector rated to drop 4mVolts per amp would drop .060Volts (60mV) with 15amps flowing (.004V X 15A = .060V, E=IR). A large connector rated to drop 10mVolt per amp would drop .300V (300mV) with 30 amps flowing (.010V X 30A = .300V, E=IR). Voltage drop is always proportional to current flow.

Last edited:
Back