• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE DICE Announces RTX Ray Tracing in Battlefield V Can Now Be Enabled (Benchmarks Today!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

DICE Announces RTX Ray Tracing in Battlefield V Can Now Be Enabled (Benchmarks Today!)

One of the most anticipated new games releases from Dice, Battlefield V, is set to release to the non-paying public on November 19th. Outside of being another AAA title in the long-running Battlefield series, the game was to include ray tracing capabilities which the new NVIDIA RTX series of cards support with their ray tracing cores.

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
But wasn't it mentioned somewhere that ray tracing can technically work on anything, but at extreme performance penalty due to not having dedicated hardware?

As I understand it, the effect is done in software now, but it isn't nearly as accurate/looks good. This is real time ray tracing.

Wait, Taco is confirmed, so they used to have it hardware rendered, but now its software rendered and just accelerated by hardware, which makes it realtime feasible feature, but because its software rendered it doesn't.look as hood?

This is so confusing this tracing!

Basically without the hardware accelerated piece by the RTX cards (at this point, until AMD releases their own version that maybe BFV will support...) the performance (if it was even able to be enabled) would be so bad/inefficient on a non-RT card that it wouldn't be worth even trying. As I understand from the benchmarks I've seen it is a HUGE hit on a 2080/ti card to have it enabled in BFV (1080p 60fps)

Last edited:
I've been trying to get systems up to bench (wrong os, DL 44GB), and benched with a 2070. It depends on how much RT is going on. In the single player, there are 3 campaigns. The first two it ran 60 fps on ultra settings with RT enabled, doubled that+ without. The last one it was 30 fps and 41 fps.

Went to the 2080 and the game wont start now. The .exe kicks off, gathers around 216MB the origin window disappears then the bfv.exe quits and origin comes back up. Tried everything. Had MEH experience with EA chat (3x chats...and hour+) and my issue is escalated... it was a long frustrating day trying to get numbers for this article...

Last edited:
Wow, 60fps rt on ultra with 2070
Still would be pretty neat to see just a demonstration how bad it would actually run on regular non rtx card. I was hoping to download a demo or something, fire it up and have it play like a picture frame on big screen driven by gtx460. New frame every 5 seconds would be perfect! That's the interval I find most pleasing when I have my photos cycle.

Finally found out why my 2080 didn't work!!!

WHen using the 2070, I disabled an option named "GPU MEMORY RESTRICTION". This setting 'may use more PGU memory than what is available and could comprimmise the stability of the game'. When that option is disabled, I cannot swap cards out (tried 2080 Ti as well). If I disable that option, I can swap in whatever card I want.

Still would be pretty neat to see just a demonstration how bad it would actually run on regular non rtx card.
This isn't possible AFAIK. In order to run RT on this game, you need a compatible OS, the game updated fully, and a card with that ability. There are other ways to test this, like in rendering applications, but not with the game AFAIK.

WHen using the 2070, I disabled an option named "GPU MEMORY RESTRICTION". This setting 'may use more PGU memory than what is available and could comprimmise the stability of the game'. When that option is disabled, I cannot swap cards out (tried 2080 Ti as well). If I disable that option, I can swap in whatever card I want.

That...That's an option? Why? Especially if it causes known stability issues.

Good article, but Im a bit far from getting an RTX for myself. Still is good to see EA is giving support for RT and is working better than what I was expecting for an initial release. Also Nvidia needs to polish RTX drivers since they are still new tech.

Anyone try using different video settings? I was wondering if the RT process was completely parallel..

Example:
Graphics settings Ultra @ RTX Low // vs // Graphics Low @ RTX low

If the processes are completely parallel then there may be almost no difference in performance, which would be interesting in-deed.

Still is good to see EA is giving support for RT

Next game release, RT will be in a loot box you can buy in game for a slight additional cost.... :rofl:

I've been trying to get systems up to bench (wrong os, DL 44GB), and benched with a 2070. It depends on how much RT is going on. In the single player, there are 3 campaigns. The first two it ran 60 fps on ultra settings with RT enabled, doubled that+ without. The last one it was 30 fps and 41 fps.

At 1080p?

30 fps and 41 fps @1080p on a $500-$600 card is pretty weak, IMO. All things considered, though, it doesn't look bad overall. I assume BFV is more demanding than my games, but the numbers without RT look in line with what I get with my 1070 (the HOF. The reference card is definitely behind that).

Eh I'm not too surprised. It's flashy new tech, it'll take a generation or two before the frame drop isn't as much. NVidia was probably just trying to pull a "First To Market" move which is why they introduced it with the 2xxx line.

Back