• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD - Solid State Drive Technology Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Damn just when I was finishing saving for MTRON, Memoright GT comes out :( I still might stick to MTRON but the 5x more IOPS on Memoright than on MTRON is still bugging me a bit

when the 32gb hit the 16gb pricelevel they will be bought.
this is for performance not storage.

New SSD coming from Mtron in april.
the 1000 series offers 100mb read and 40mb write.
based on mlc chips.
40-50% off current mobi 300 in price.

How does the 40mb write do in daily use?

Last edited:
when the 32gb hit the 16gb pricelevel they will be bought.
this is for performance not storage.

New SSD coming from Mtron in april.
the 1000 series offers 100mb read and 40mb write.
based on mlc chips.
40-50% off current mobi 300 in price.

How does the 40mb write do in daily use?

is this coming in April?!?

Damn just when I was finishing saving for MTRON, Memoright GT comes out :( I still might stick to MTRON but the 5x more IOPS on Memoright than on MTRON is still bugging me a bit

I actually just received my new updated Memoright GT 120/120 read/write SSD from the Neostore: a supplier wanting a review done from my website Next Level Hardware. It turns out the Memoright only has higher IOP's in write capability. It is about 5X faster when writing in a 100% random situation. The numbers have been close to 100 random write IOP's on the Mtron and well over 500 random write IOP's on the Memoright. The Mtron unit caps at almost 18,000 IOP's during my IOMeter testing when 100% Random Reading. I have done a short test on the Memoright GT 120/120 last night and this drive only caps off at around 9,000 IOP's in a 100% random read situation.

Short sum up: Mtron Pro is 2X more powerful than Memoright GT in random read access patterns. Memoright GT 120/120 is 5X more powerful than Mtron Pro is random write. So, an SSD manufacturer has finally eliminated some of the inherent write issues of Solid State Flash.

From the 15 minutes of usage last night on my 64GB Memoright GT, it has performed excellent. I can definitely realize the benefits from the additional write capability on tap.

I should have a full SSD roundup review done on this drive within the next couple of days. It will include my old results on the Mtron Pro 16GB, the Mtron Mobi 32GB, and now the latest iteration of the Memoright GT 120/120 and lets not forget the good old WDRaptor 150 for some SATA mechanical comparison.

Last I heard from Dom, the Fusion I/O representative who had originally offered to let him do the exclusive benchmark and review had just stopped responding to Dom's emails. I dont think he was getting any response at all from them.

Haven't heard a word about Fusion I/O since. :shrug:

Yes, Surf is indeed correct. I spoke directly to the CTO and the CEO of Fusion last year well before the holidays. They had promised me a review drive in early January. Sometime after X-mas they had stopped responding to all correspondance from me and we still do not have any kind of launch on the drive.

Regards,
Dom

PS- Sorry I havent been around much lately. Had some personal things going on outside of the computer realm.

I should have a full SSD roundup review done on this drive within the next couple of days. It will include my old results on the Mtron Pro 16GB, the Mtron Mobi 32GB, and now the latest iteration of the Memoright GT 120/120 and lets not forget the good old WDRaptor 150 for some SATA mechanical comparison.

Is this roundup review going to be posted on these forums or on http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/

Welcome back! :thup:

Thank you Surf! How are those drives treating you bud?

NICE DOM! GLAD TO SEE YA BACK!!

Wow Michael! You made the blues dude! Congrats. I have been gone for quite a while.

Is this roundup review going to be posted on these forums or on http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/

Vinny,
I will post up an announcement right here on the storage section of OCForums as soon as the review becomes available on Next Level Hardware.

Thank you for your patronage.

Dom

Thank you Surf! How are those drives treating you bud?

I have actually just pulled them out of the rig. They might be going up in the classies soon. I have some RL expenses coming up and I think my old Raptors are going in. Its a shame cause they absolutely fly!

488MB/s average reads.

Is there a price road map available for SSD's? I find myself looking at cheap Sata2 drives, with hundreds of gigabytes of storage, and then I realize that I won't use that much space. I would rather have a smaller capacity drive that completely boots in a few seconds and then later add an external drive for storage.

In addition to the price road map, is there a chart or documentation of different brands with the pros/cons of their ssd's- performance wise? Thanks!

Can't wait to see your review DOM!

I love hearing about all the new SSD's being developed. I can only hope that this will eventually bring the prices down considerably. :attn:

guys, the SSD price has dropped a lots now. it's only $171.99 for 32GB version, see link below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000WCK00Q

well its low end ssd.
13mb sec or so.

High end ssd is what is interesting for most due to faster than todays Raptor as it is for me.
I will most likely buy the new Mtron MLC based 32gb drive to test out how that works for daily use.
The 40mb write is a concern but most likely something that with my use might not be that big of concern.

I'm about ready to order a Gigabyte i-RAM, but WTF, it's only SATA 1.5gb/s and regular DDR. If they make one that holds DDR2 (4x2GB would be fine) and uses SATA 3gb/s with a PCIe x4 interface, I'm all over it.. Even at double the price of the regular i-RAM, that's still under $250..

Back