• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2000 Os

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickerbocker

Hello eveyrone, I want to reformat my hardrive and i am currently running XP pro. I essentially want to have 2000 professional on the computer. I tired just putting the cd in and setting my bios to start up on the cd and didnt work. I made 2000 startup disks and that didnt work. Im about to put my head through the screen. I have a NTFS file system. Can anyone help me?????

Here is a link that might be of some assistance. Look around for NTFS formating or something of the sort.

I know it's possible, I just don't remember the exact place I saw it at.

Good Luck.
:cool:

When you say that you tried to boot off the W2K CD and the W2K startup disks and it did not work, what actually happened? Would your computer not boot at all? Could you not format the C-drive to NTFS?

I think the Windows 2000 CD is NOT a bootable disk and that is why you have to create the floppy diskettes. But you said that you could not boot from the floppies either. Your computer definitely should have booted from the floppies. I assume that your floppy drive works and was set as the 1st boot drive.

All W2K disks from MS are bootable. They'll have bootcat.img and bootcat.bin files and will be el torrito compatible. The MAKEBOOT directory was included for legacy equipment. If the comp is blowing through the install, FDD or CD, eliminate all other boot options, leaving only the selected method. If that's FDD, try recreating new disks(on NEW FDDs), the selfextractors on the disk do not run a CRC to check the disks on completion and can miscopy the files if there are bad sectors.

Download a plain old Win98 Bootdisk from bootdisk.com and use that to format and than install 2k.

Back