• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Ubuntu Tweak - A New Linux User Opinion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Ubuntu Tweak - A New Linux User Opinion
by Coreyoliseffect

A new Linux users view of Ubuntu Tweak and its features. An overview of the options that Ubuntu Tweak has to offer and the ease of access that it provides new users.
Read More

... Return to the article to continue reading.

digg | reddit | stumbleupon

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, hokiealumnus or David. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom)

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent article! I haven't seriously toyed with Ubuntu (or any linux flavor) since Compiz was in its infancy -and REALLY, REALLY buggy. If I can figure out which computer my wife would tolerate it more on, might try it out again. :)

In my experience with Linux, which has encompassed the distributions Ubuntu, Mint, Gentoo, Funtoo, and Arch Linux over the past 5 years or so... Ubuntu has remained mature and consistent since their 7.04 release. It was a nicely polished package then, and each update since has added additional bits and pieces which add to the experience but are not game changers. External factors such as kernel improvements and application updates have been the biggest impact - Compiz especially in that its installation and functionality is far more user friendly than its been in the past.

For new users, Ubuntu does a great job at introducing people to what they should expect from Linux and making it mostly a smooth experience. Ubuntu Tweak specifically is a great example reflecting what Ubuntu is about, and making things easier for the user.

I'd recommend Gentoo, Funtoo, and Arch to anyone looking to get their hands dirtier and understand Linux at a deeper level... However one should not expect tools with the approach and goals of "Ubuntu Tweak" on other distributions. The same things are possible, however the values and stance of other distributions are fundamentally different in some relevant ways.

Nice article, informative and well done. I wasn't aware of a lot of the features in the Ubuntu 'tweaks' section.

I think that such features help desktop users make the transition away from expensive, proprietary 3rd party software, so that they can just use the machine that they bought & own.

Glad that I could help to show some of you the light. :p As stated in the article title that was the first time that I had installed Ubuntu(Linux) ever. Ubuntu Tweak made it really east to... tweak my system and make it more personal. I look forward to doing another review, just have to find the time.

Great article very well done. Personally I've found KDE to be much more customizable and 'tweak able' than gnome, but this tool looks good. I'll have to try it on my gnome side later :)

Great article very well done. Personally I've found KDE to be much more customizable and 'tweak able' than gnome, but this tool looks good. I'll have to try it on my gnome side later :)

Maybe in the past... but I guess I'm a diehard of 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it". I can't stand the new Plasma interface. The way it is built off of widgets, it's way to easy to break something accidently, and nearly impossible to fix. The same goes for the new Gnome in Ubuntu 10.04. Way to easy to break the widget-based interface.

At least I found a script online to restore the interface back to default (for Gnome) if I misclick. Still haven't found the same for Plasma/KDE.

finally got around to installing this on my dual K/Ubuntu 10.04 laptop. WOW is all I can say. This is functionality that should be included in the base *buntu system from the start.

Very well written
As a new ubuntu user i found this article veru useful
A big thumbs up :)

This article was recently mentioned on the Ubuntu Tweak Twitter feed at:
http://twitter.com/Ubuntu_Tweak

Nice work Andrew :)

WOO!!! Getting to the big time now. :p Thanks for all of the kind words from everyone. I think that I am either going to try and tackle Compiz or the Screenlets manager next. Sadly right now I am in the middle of a semester and have all of the writing to do that I can stand. Thanks again!

Ubuntu 10.10

I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu Tweak for 10.10. I didn't see it in the software center so I did have to go to the tweak website. It seems to be working fine.

Back