• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700k Overclock issues Z170x Gaming 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chucktheiceman

I can attain a 4.4 ghz overclock with absolute stability with a little higher than stock voltage. When I tried to bump up to 4.5ghz everything seems fine on 1.3v even. I can run aida and other bench's and have no issues. However I've come to learn that when testing stability always run some crap though handbrake. So I have some shadowplay recordings that are 20 minutes a piece I use for testing. When I manually overclock at 4.4hgz everything works great. When I push to 4.5ghz everything works great except the handbrake test. It starts encoding and does about 10% sometimes gets to 15% of the first video and then either says it's finished and goes to finished status, or more often it goes to a BSOD with a watchdog clock error?
I thought it was my ram running at XMP profile of 3200 (TridentZ) so I ran it at 2133 and tried again. The system acted laggy and weird when I did this and still eventually gave me bsod errors when using handbrake. Upping the voltage to 1.36v seemed to help a bit but I didn't want to push much further than that when trying to attain 4.5ghz. I also tried setting load line calibration to standard for testing it made absolutely no difference in anything I did so I ended up leaving it at auto

The most frustrating thing is in my Z170x Gaming 5 bios (F5 bios ver) there is an overclock option that gives me the options of 4.4, 4.5. 4.6 ghz. When I chose 4.6GHZ and rebooted absolutely everything works fine and temps never reach over 70C on my Noctua NH-D15. As well in hardware monitor the voltages are showing lower than what I was setting to obtain 4.4ghz???? What am I missing here? The bios overclock even works perfectly when my ram is using the XMP profile. So I pushed it a bit further and tightened the timings on my ram with the same clock speed. Still absolutely rock solid stable. Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Is my motherboard overclock just applying high loadline calibration to the same overclock? I notice in hardware monitor the voltage is very fluid from .770 up to 1.41 for very brief periods max. I don't like the fact that it's hitting 1.41v but am I just being overcautious here?

I set my bios to something like 1.385v and hwmonitor shows 1.408v using the LLC.
I had to play with it to get a good voltage for a stable OC. I certainly wouldn't use the auto settings though, manually set the multiplier and voltages and just keep taking baby steps to get it where you want it. Probably needs a bit more voltage for a stable 4.6/4.7ghz OC.

Vcore of 1.41v is a little high for 4.6GHz mine is at 1.33v for 4.5GHz.

1.25v @4.5ghz, 1.2v if i disable HT - watchdog errors means it needs more voltage, If you run Prime95 make sure to do Small FFT for at least 10m-20m as well as Blend.

Last edited:
1.25v @4.5ghz, 1.2v if i disable HT - watchdog errors means it needs more voltage, If you run Prime95 make sure to do Small FFT for at least 10m-20m as well as Blend.

My minimum vcore for 4.5GHz is 1.272v running prime95 blend.

Back