• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7 degrees Cooler after lapping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

I have a generic HSF that fits standard Athlon sockets and uses an 8CM fan. After lapping it for about three hours and finally using 600 grit paper, my temps were 7 degrees cooler at full load.

8 CM Y.S. Tech 60 CFM
A7V266-E
Locked AMD XP-1700 @ 1.80 V - 1540 MHZ

Before: 54 Deg.
After: 47 Deg.

I then clocked it higher.

XP-1700 @ 1.85V - 1610 MHz - 53 Deg @ full load - Stable.
Still running hot, but to this day I still do not trust ASUS temps :)

Yea lapping really makes a difference. Three hours, thats berserk dude. I'd bet when you stood up, your whole body was crippled, hands were all black from the sandpaper! Oh and if your using Arctic Silver, it hasn't even settled!

Glad you did a good job. Happy clocking! Crunch on! :D

Cool, isn't it great when temps drop from just $3.00 in materials and a little time? I love that. Although, if I were you, I'd take better care of that precious XP and put a better HSF on it. Glad to hear about your temps though! BTW, you're double posting...thats not good. :D

The heatsink is actually pretty good, I just think that the Asus temp readings are a bit off. I have the same hsf on another system and it's running about 44 @ full load (1.80 V / 1628 MHz)

My arms are really sore today though, but when I was done I can see my face on the heatsink. It was amazing.

Time to lap my next one :)

be careful with lapping it too much. make sure its perfectly flat. There's an article that proves overlapping isn't good. somewhere aroung 600 grit for 15 mins w/ a little soap water is good.

JoeCrappa said:
be careful with lapping it too much. make sure its perfectly flat. There's an article that proves overlapping isn't good. somewhere aroung 600 grit for 15 mins w/ a little soap water is good.

It all depends on how bad the finish is on the heatsink or waterblock. If the bottom is rough and uneven it will take a lot longer to lap it flush and smooth. Also, I don't hold with that theory about lapping too fine. I usually finsh mine down to at least 1500 grit, but I don't polish the base with a polish like they did in that article. I find that I get great temps with the way I lap my hsf base but do what you think is best.

i'm sure lapping it with 1500 grit sand paper is okay. it all depends on if its perfectly flat. i understand that you'd have to lap more with rough heatsinks. i was just saying that a mirror finish isn't always the best solution. there are a LOT of factors when lapping and when you get a mirrored finish...it gets a lot more complicated if your temps end up being higher. i'm not saying it'll happen for sure. but it has happened and could happen again.

Actually my buddy used to work in the aircraft insdustry and dealt a lot with lapping. The way he told me to do it is to use a very flat surface (Marble slab in my case) and use oil on top of the grit paper, (I used vegetable oil) and rub it in a figure 8 motion. He also told me that it is a good idea to leave all the metal particles that get shaved off of the heatsink. It does get messy after a few hours :p. I guess the most important thing is to have the flattest surface possible to lap the heatsink on. I also used very very little thermal compund because it doesn't have anywhere to go!

that would be cool to do it for a living.
"I'm a Heatsink Lapper" You'd have forearms like no tomorrow!

I have a dead XP sitting in my room. I should practice lapping the core.

Back