• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT and RX 6800 Review: Competing at the Top Again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

AMD is back and there has been plenty of excitement building over the last few months. We have seen many unofficial leaks floating around the internet showing RX 6800 GPUs, also known as "Big Navi" hitting new highs and trading blows with Nvidia's RTX GPUs. This is good news for Radeon graphics as it's been some time since AMD has had a serious contender to take the GPU performance crown from team green.

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great write-up. I really like that you tested it with the Intel rig and look forward to the comparison when/if you get an AMD 5000 series.

Great write-up. I really like that you tested it with the Intel rig and look forward to the comparison when/if you get an AMD 5000 series.

There was testing done with a 5600X below the 1080p results. Not sure if it was the CPU or BIOS or what exactly but I tried testing the SAM (smart access memory) and the results didn't change in some of the titles we use I should have see a 6% uptick in FPS

There was testing done with a 5600X below the 1080p results. Not sure if it was the CPU or BIOS or what exactly but I tried testing the SAM (smart access memory) and the results didn't change in some of the titles we use I should have see a 6% uptick in FPS

Yea I saw that but with the minimal change I would assume something was not totally "right" yet. I'll wait to see what comes out in the future for sure though. If that ends up being the end result then AMD making a big deal about makes no sense so I figure it needs tweaking and time.

Very good read, thank you! I think though with these cards it is going to hurt them in the long run if they do not get an equivalent to DLSS. The ray tracing performance doesn't seem to be as strong as the 3000 series so it will need something to compete.

My ASRock PG RX6800XT reaches ~2700MHz. Top RX6800XT series like Strix LC stop at the clock limit so 2800MHz without the need of LN2. I was worried a bit about my card as I didn't know what to expect from ASRock but it's above average and more like high Sapphire level, or even a bit better as I'm able to make slightly higher clocks.
The only annoying thing are these clock limits. For RX6800XT it's 2800MHz GPU and 2150MHz memory. As far as the GPU is fine (maybe a bit disappointing for extreme overclockers) then memory clock could be much higher as stock is 2000MHz. On Nvidia can go up to +1400MHz ... well, most will handle +1000MHz but it's still much more than +150MHz.
Anyway, I'm glad that RX6000 cards don't have power limit issues like RTX3000. Most cheaper (or maybe simply most) RTX3000 run at lowered clock as without manual power limit adjustments, all these cards have 15-20W too low limit and throttle all the time under higher load.

throttle all the time under higher load.

Sounds like my Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 Super. The 125W limit seems too low and it only lets me go to 130W at max. It throttles repeatedly in normal stuff! (albeit just a bit, but I can forget about OC'ing the GPU!) Thus, I OC the VRAM instead. It normally throttles some in Unigine and Halo MCC.

Sounds like my Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 Super. The 125W limit seems too low and it only lets me go to 130W at max. It throttles repeatedly in normal stuff! (albeit just a bit, but I can forget about OC'ing the GPU!) Thus, I OC the VRAM instead. It normally throttles some in Unigine and Halo MCC.

Every RTX3060Ti with 200W limit (or single 8 pin power connector) or RTX3070 with 220W limit throttle at stock. This is every Zotac, low Palit, Gainward, PNY, low ASUS (like DUAL), every low MSI till Trio+ (Ventus is low series), lowest Gigabyte and some more. The list is long. All these cards are missing 15-20W to their standard power draw which is about 235W. For example if you won't manually adjust power limit, then most RTX3070 reach 220W and drop GPU clock by about 100MHz ... with the slider, the limit is going up to 240-250W. Only higher OC series have 240W+ BIOS and then some more. Like ASUS TUF OC has 240W and with the slider next 15%. On some cards, power limit can't be adjusted.

Last edited:
Every RTX3060Ti with 200W limit (or single 8 pin power connector) or RTX3070 with 220W limit throttle at stock. This is every Zotac, low Palit, Gainward, PNY, low ASUS (like DUO), every low MSI till Trio+ (Ventus is low series), lowest Gigabyte and some more. The list is long. All these cards are missing 15-20W to their standard power draw which is about 235W. For example if you won't manually adjust power limit, then most RTX3070 reach 220W and drop GPU clock by about 100MHz ... with the slider, the limit is going up to 240-250W. Only higher OC series have 240W+ BIOS and then some more. Like ASUS TUF OC has 240W and with the slider next 15%. On some cards, power limit can't be adjusted.

I wish I could change the limit to 140W for that 1660 Super.

Back