• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Microsoft Announces Windows 11 Launch Date: October 5th, 2021

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Microsoft has just announced October 5th, 2021 as the official launch date for the new Windows 11. If you currently own Windows 10, you could be eligible for a free upgrade. Microsoft was generous enough to include a list of highlights for this latest version so please continue reading to find out more.

Click here to view the article.

Who's going to make the jump?

Anyone an insider and used it already? I've seen some threads here and there covering it... looks interesting and will take some getting used to with that Apple-like UI..

I'm sure I will, though I won't be one of the early adopters. I'm sure I'll be on 11 by the new year for sure though.

Seems to me about every odd Windows OS is a dud, so I won't be jumping on quickly, I don't think.

I have been no an Insider build since the day it was released. I actually like it.
Some issues with Microsoft Defender not starting on early stuff, but that is fixed now. Folder interactions are different, many common interactions you have to hit at tab "show mre options"

I'll try MAYBE after the 1st big update, so far there's nothing really interesting about it.

Hi all, I haven't been to any computer sites/working on mine in yrs, life got in the way. I'm still on Win7. Is this worth changing? I know I'll need to but I can't stand win 10. My wife has it on her laptop and I really can't get around on it.

you could upgrade to win10 and use classic start to make it look quite like win7. I believe there is something similar coming for win11

That ^^ if you're hooked on the GUI. I'd say there is little reason to stay with 7 unless you have some software you need that doesn't work on later versions.

Thanks, guys, I feel like I'm starting all over. I've forgotten soooooo much stuff. I'll take a look at Win 11. Do you think my system will work on win11 or is it too old? I don't really have any problem with my computer other than it's eight yrs old, it runs my games.

Thanks, guys, I feel like I'm starting all over. I've forgotten soooooo much stuff. I'll take a look at Win 11. Do you think my system will work on win11 or is it too old? I don't really have any problem with my computer other than it's eight yrs old, it runs my games.

Sadly it is below the minimum system specs listed below:

Processor: 64-bit architecture at 1 GHz or faster; Intel: eight-generation or newer (details); AMD Ryzen 3 or better (details); Qualcomm Snapdragon 7c or higher (details)
RAM: 4 GB or higher
Storage: 64 GB or larger storage device
System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable
TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
Graphics card: Direct X12 or later capable; WDDM 2.0 driver or newer
Display: High-def (720p) display, larger than 9” diagonal in size, 8 bits per color channel (or better)
Internet connection/MSA: Windows 11 Home edition requires internet connectivity and a Microsoft Account (MSA) to complete device setup on first use. Switching out of Windows 11 Home in S mode likewise requires internet connectivity. For all Windows 11 editions, internet access is needed for updates, and to download and use certain features. An MSA is required for some features as well.

Fortunately, Windows 10 will be around until 2025 so you still have time before a system upgrade is necessary.

Burned W11 to disc, booted to it O.K. but didn't install, didn't want to alter the Win 10/ Linux dual boot on my Asrock x79 machine. I could unplug the drives and use a spare, but the dang case is way under the desk, and I don't feel like crawling beneath there. :rofl:

Burned W11 to disc, booted to it O.K. but didn't install, didn't want to alter the Win 10/ Linux dual boot on my Asrock x79 machine. I could unplug the drives and use a spare, but the dang case is way under the desk, and I don't feel like crawling beneath there. :rofl:
Can you just disable the sata port in bios?

Do you think my system will work on win11 or is it too old? I don't really have any problem with my computer other than it's eight yrs old, it runs my games.

I have been doing a lot of testing of Windows 11 on many older systems. The requirements are artificial at this point and are bypassed easily during the install process. Once Windows 11 is actually installed, it runs great, even without TPM, no secure boot, no UEFI, etc. Driver compatibility is a non-issue also, as in most cases 64-bit drivers from Windows 10, 8/8.1, 7, and even Vista still work on Windows 11. The oldest computer I'm running it on is a 15+ year old Athlon64 x2 laptop, which required Vista drivers for the onboard video but runs great. I've also got it on systems running a Q6600, i5-2500K, i5-3210M, and i7-5820K. Once you bypass the artificial requirements during the install, it will basically run on anything that Windows 10 can run on.

In fact one of the only systems I'm not running it on right now is my main 5900X system, which I believe is the only system I have that actually does meet the requirements.

I tried to install it yesterday on two newer systems (Maximus XII Extreme and Maximus XIII Hero) and it gave me the warning of not meeting the system requirements. I felt like a noob after I went to ASUS and found BIOS updates which made installation seamless. This did get me looking for a bypass method as GotNoRice mentions and here it is.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-bypass-the-windows-11-tpm-20-requirement/
It's a registry hack that you use during the install process to get Win11 to ignore the requirements.

I tried to install it yesterday on two newer systems (Maximus XII Extreme and Maximus XIII Hero) and it gave me the warning of not meeting the system requirements. I felt like a noob after I went to ASUS and found BIOS updates which made installation seamless. This did get me looking for a bypass method as GotNoRice mentions and here it is.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-bypass-the-windows-11-tpm-20-requirement/
It's a registry hack that you use during the install process to get Win11 to ignore the requirements.

That method probably works fine, especially if you are doing a clean install. Most of the Windows 11 installs I have now have been done using in-place upgrades, using other methods.

Probably the easiest method is to simply replace the appraiserres.dll from the Sources folder of the installation directory with the equivalent file from the Windows 10 install files. This method seems to be the most problem free if you are doing an in-place upgrade from an older OS such as Windows 7, but sometimes gives an error during install if trying to upgrade from a fully-patched Windows 10 install. Interestingly, the "free upgrade" that has allowed you to install Windows 10 for free over the last 5+ years if you are upgrading from an activated Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 install still works in the Windows 11 beta. You can upgrade from Windows 7 and end up with an activated copy of Windows 11. I find that interesting, especially since no computer that shipped with Windows 7 would meet the official requirements for Windows 11.

The other method I've had great results with is to delete the install.wim or install.esd file (the only multi-gigabyte file in the directory) from the sources folder of a Windows 10 21H1 install directory, and replace it with the install.wim or install.esd from the sources folder of a Windows 11 install directory. So you are basically installing Windows 11 using the Windows 10 installer. The install even says it's installing Windows 10, but you end up with Windows 11. This method has proved to be the most problem-free when doing an in-place upgrade on a system that already has Windows 10 on it.

Back