• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

800Mhz FSB or 533Mhz FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

F4

Red Raccoon Dojo
Is it really worth the extra cash to jump to the 800Mhz FSB, as opposed to the 533?

I understand the difference, but will the performance be noticably different in games/applications? Or will I only be able to tell in the benchmarks?

there is no such a difference in price between 533fsb and 800fsb chips
and i think that 800fsb is payeble, and worth any money

Actually, Titan, there is a $45 difference between the 2.4B and 2.4C at Newegg. The difference nearly doubles for the 3.0C and 3.06B.

Anyway, F4, if you're concerned with application performance the difference is going to be barely perceptible at default speeds. If you look at the tests for the new C chips you typically see less than a 10% difference in framerates for game tests. For CPU intensive titles like Commanche 4 the difference is less than five percent for similar speed chips. You won't see that on your monitor.

That's at default speed. If you overclock it might be even harder to justify spending the extra money for a 800MHz chip. So far the 800MHz chips are reaching a couple hundred MHz higher than the last generation of 533 B's in benchmark racing. Every MHz counts, of course, and if you have to have the fastest system a P4-C is the way to go. But a couple hundred MHz clearly isn't the kind of breakthrough a lot of people expected from a 50% bump in the FSB speed (from 133 to 200) and a 12 multiplier (for the 2.4C).

What's happening is the increase in FSB has exposed another limit in the 0.13u P4. Until now you'd hit the wall on vcore before the processor temps became a critical issue. But guys overclocking 800MHz chips are reporting just the opposite. Temperatures hit the wall before you have to raise the voltage. And even with phase-change cooling the raising the vcore above 1.65v does not improve speeds as it would in the B's.

Long story short, we have reached the limit of what the Northwood chip can do. Regardless of cooling medium or default FSB speed, that is roughly in the neighborhood of 3.4-3.6GHz for sustained use with a good chip.

For these reasons I think the smart setup for this last cycle of the P4 is going to be a good B chip like the 2.4 on a good 865PE board.

BHD

I own a 533 3.06 and I am very happy with it, a buddy of mine has almost the exact same computer as me but on a 800 (just a diff mobo) and mine is more stable + able to oc better.

Hope this helped

CHiao

its up to u, but id love to have a 800 fsb northie with a canterwood mb... but i think ill wait a couple months till the prescott comes out.. with the 9nm process it oughta really overclock well...

Well I was debating between a 2.6C and a 2.66B and went with the 2.66 because it was 190 dollars while the C was 240 and I did some research and so barely any difference in performance (at stock speeds). It just didn't justify the price to me, but I suppose you could use it as bragging rights if that's your thing. Listen to BaldHeadedDork, he knows what he's talking about. We must have read the same article.

(HR)Titan said:
there is no such a difference in price between 533fsb and 800fsb chips

wrong.

go to Newegg and you'll see that the 2.4B (533FSB) is $161 while the 2.4C (800FSB) is $183.

Back