• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

939 CPUs and best bang to buck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiveSideways

Hey guys, I'm new to ocforums but have been around many others.

I kind of took a one year break away from PCs, and am just now starting to get back into it. My current setup is:

DFI LanParty UT NF3 250gb
Newcastle 3200+ @ 10x250
GSkill 2x1gb DDR500
6600gt
TPII-550 W/ Antec P180

I just bought a DFI NF4 SLI board from a friend and have decided to make the migration to 939/PCI-E. My question is what would you guys recommend for the CPU? Keeping in mind that my current ram only does 273, so if we are talking OC I can't be busting out 300mhz.

I've heard a little about opterons but don't really understand all of the different flavors of the 939.

What would you guys recommend for a new CPU? I'd like to spend around $225-250 but could go up to $300-350 if the bang to buck ratio is that much better.

Please be gentle on the 939 noob :)

That's what I'm hearing....

Won't my ram limit of 273 keep me from l337ness though?

Vengance_01 said:
Divder, but I recomend a 7900GT/X1800XT
Well I'm getting a 6800XT also, and was thinking of just getting another one for SLI.

Think 2x256MB 6800XTs would play fear and ubersoldier on high?

Just change the video card to maybe a 7900GT and you'll be sweet I reckon. No need to change the cpu.

The TPII550 is a bit weak from memory so ...

I don't have a wealth of knowledge or experience with 939's, as I have only messed with them a little, and not touched an Opteron.

I do have 2 939 chips though-

Venice 3200
San Diego 3700

Not sure on just where the price points are, or what you might find second-hand, BUT-

The Venice 3200 (512 cache) is barely faster than my best socket A system.
The San Diego's extra cache makes a very noticeable difference.

I would not buy another Venice (or lesser) chip unless I got a FANTASTIC deal- like under $50.
I WOULD consider another San Diego.

Or I would if I hadn't already blown far too much money on various things this year. ;)

I would look for a 165 (denmark core ) or a X2 3800+ with E6 stepping and the teledo core.They are out there just not as many as the manchester with E4 stepping.And if you could swing a 7600GT which is much faster than the 6800XT and even faster than the 6800GS.2 of those would make a nice SLI setup.Even 2x7600GS which are passively cooled can make a very nice SLI setup and are still faster than 2x6800XT's but cost about the same.Plus later you can add a aftermarket H/S and OC the crap out of them

http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/hardware/1597_1.html

Last edited:
DeepScience said:
Just change the video card to maybe a 7900GT and you'll be sweet I reckon. No need to change the cpu.

The TPII550 is a bit weak from memory so ...

Oh man, really? I just bought it.

It has 2 12v rails at like 20A a piece.

I'd like something a little cheaper than the 165... Whats the next level down that you guys would recommend? The 146?

3700+SD and 146 cost about the same.$210.But ive been seeing a lot of 3700+SD's (E6 stepping)hitting 2.8ghz/2.9ghz on air very easily with hardly any voltage increase's.
My 3700+SD(E4) is good for 2.7/2.8ghz on air with about 1.475v but i bump it up a little higher for more stability.So i would consider either one a good deal

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=86342

oh and the TPII550 should be fine.I know a few guys that have them and no complaints.But i wouldnt wanna run a SLI setup with 2x7900GTx's on one.But 2x7600GT/6800GS's i think would be fine

Last edited:
I came across a rumor somewhere that the Particular DFI board I'm getting doesn't like PSUs with 20+4 pin connectors, and that it only likes actual 24 pins. I don't see the sense in that, just wondering if you guys heard any thing about that.

My NF4 Ultra D is chipset modded to SLI and it has no problem with my OCZ Powerstream 520ADJSLI and it has the 20+4 pin connector .And i never heard that.But i think your talking about the 24 pin adapter's for the regular 20 pin PSU's.DFI doesnt recommend you use them .They also recommend a 480watt psu or better for all the NF4 boards and native 24 pin psu's.That includes your psu.Its still a native 24 pin connector psu.

Last edited:
LiveSideways said:
I came across a rumor somewhere that the Particular DFI board I'm getting doesn't like PSUs with 20+4 pin connectors, and that it only likes actual 24 pins. I don't see the sense in that, just wondering if you guys heard any thing about that.

It's only a rumor..
Check my sig and my PSU has 20+4 pins and is working flawlessly..
I'm pretty sure that most users in here use 20+4 pins on their PSU's.

I wouldnt get a 6800xt... I just put one in a 3000+ clocked to 2.4 with a gig of dual channel ram an its terrible slow!

I would recommend a 7800 series or even a 7900 if you can afford it if you want to stay nvidia.

x1800 or x1900 series are also a good choice.

opty is the way to go for best bang for the buck with s939

Barnz0432

If I were you I would go with the San Diego. They are known to overclock to at least 2.6 and theres a 50% chance that you will get one that will overclock to FX57 speeds. Dont listen to anyone thats telling you that you should get a AMD dual core of any sort. Conroes right around the corner and you will be able to get a Conroe that beats out an FX60 at stock for about $200. Also, alot of gamers notice a huge fps difference when they went back to single core after using a dual core. A single core will net you alot more fps than a dual core even if it is multithreaded.

LiveSideways said:

The guys at DFI won't even do warrenty unless your using a PSU with native 24-pin.

Back