• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question not so simple as it looks, 8400, 8600k, 8700k or wait

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikiangel

Hello Guys,
here is my dilemma and I will be happy to read some advises.
Currently on my main system I have Asus X79 delixe, i7@4820k, 32GB of Corsair Vengeance ram, 120GB (for OS) Intel 530SSD, GTX1080ti and Corsair 1200i PowerSupply

It's time for me to upgrade (except the VC and PSU) as I'm doing it every 5 years. I just upgraded the GPU btw.
I want a rock solid motherboard that will allow me to seriously play with OC if I decide (even that I'm not OCing in general last few years, as I didn't see a real need to).

So here is how I see my options.
For a MB currently I'm thinking of AsRock Taichi Z370
For a CPU for it... I'm not sure if I want to go for 8400 which I can find for 130Euro, or 8600k for 175 or 8700k 300.
If I go CPU option 1 and maybe 2, it will be a temporary solution with the idea to get one of these 9th gen CPUs once they see light. If I go for 8700k it will be a permanent solution for the next years to come.

And... there is an option to wait, to see what 9th gen will bring and/or wait for Z390 (I really hate Intel for dropping incompatible chipsets every year!).

If you are ready to buy, buy. 8700k if you ever want to overclock.. The rest arent really worthwhile upgrades.

I think the question boils down to, do you really need to update now, or can you afford to wait? If you're feeling the pain now, get the 8700k and you'll be sorted for years. If you can wait until say towards the end of the year, we should have good indication about the ever rumoured 8-core Intel consumer level CPU by then.

The problem with going for a lower step and upgrading later is it will cost you, and there will be uncertainty just how far you can upgrade.

Hello,
so I committed to go for the upgrade (by ordering 8700k which should be here tomorrow).
And now I should choose a good motherboard for it. I need a rock solid MB with plenty of area to play with overclock (which I may do in the future but for now I will be using at stock speed).
Please give me your professional opinions. At the moment I'm thinking of AsRock Taichi

Any thoughts on Asus Maximus X Hero?
It's more expensive but I was using Asus so far and I'm more or less satisfied.

If it has the features, you need, it will be fine. I wouldn't get it over the Taichi (b/c it costs more).

The more I read, the more uncertain I am what MB to buy :(

You get the same quality and overclocking potential on ambient cooling with AsRock Taichi and it cost less than Maximus X Hero. Also ASRock Taichi has a 5X2 real phase compared to 4X2 real phase Maximus X Hero.:)

You are making it harder than it needs to be.
I agree with ED, find a motherboard that has the features you want. You're really not going to notice much difference as far as performance or reliability going with any of the major board makers. It's only if you plan on doing "Extreme" overclocking ie. pushing your equipment as far as it will go, will having the very best boards make a difference. AsRock makes some good boards, if you like the Taichi get it.

You get the same quality and overclocking potential on ambient cooling with AsRock Taichi and it cost less than Maximus X Hero. Also ASRock Taichi has a 5X2 real phase compared to 4X2 real phase Maximus X Hero.:)
Yup!

And in the end, that doesn't make a difference either (VRM count), except in our heads as both will run into thermal limits well before the VRM holds it back. No reason to pay a premium if the Taichi has all the features you need.

if it helps at all i just went through the same thing and ended up with the asrock extreme 4. i'm very happy with it. i believe you can oc as far as you want with it unless you're using extreme cooling. it will also get memory to 4300mhz +. iirc the taichi is more of the same but a bit better. basically the cpu and ram will crap out before the board or close to it.

Definitely you gotta wait the 11xx series is coming out next month. Chill then buy a 1180. Also didn't you have a x79. Just stick with ASUS man, unless it gave you problems which they don't unless you overclock you can step on glass until you get it right. Let us know what happens.

Last edited:
Hello,
so I committed to go for the upgrade (by ordering 8700k which should be here tomorrow).
And now I should choose a good motherboard for it. I need a rock solid MB with plenty of area to play with overclock (which I may do in the future but for now I will be using at stock speed).
Please give me your professional opinions. At the moment I'm thinking of AsRock Taichi

Look if you want this build for 5 years possibly more you cant buy a crummy budget motherboard. If your on a budget then ya get the Taichi. If you want a motherboard that will live well beyond 10 years and never give you a single problem unless you OC and fail and fail again and again. Your x79 brought you here, I bet it doesnt crash or given you any problems. Stick with whats tried and proven.

Back