• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit KT7A and USB DSL Modem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JY

Registered
I have a USB Alcatel DSL Modem; it will not work with my board. I have udated the USB drivers and installed the Microsoft patch. I am using the YP bios for my boad. Yesterday, I even went out and bough a Xircom 4-port USB card...still no luck.

My problem is: whenever I have the modem plugged into the USB port, my system freezes at the Win98 splash screen and my monitor goes into standby and nothing happens. If I let my computer boot without the DSL modem and then plug it in after boot up...a few seconds elapses... and then I get the BSOD. I have talked to tech support...they don't have a clue. I have tried two different modems with the same end result.

Also, I have updated my modem drivers as well. If your have this problem please help me.

How big is your power supply? And have you overclocked it? If so what is your I/O voltage.? All of these can play a role. Give some more information and we'll try to help.

I have a 250W power supply. I am running a T-bird 800@983 with my Vcore at 1.85 and Vio at 3.7V.

This is my system:

Abit KT7A
T-bird 800
256MB Crucial PC133 CAS 2
Montego Sound Card
ATI Xpert98 AGP video
ALCATEL DSL USB modem
Generic 56K/V.90 PCI modem
Adaptec 29160 SCSI card
Quantum Atlas II 18G hard drive
Plextor Ultra Wide 40X CD Rom
generic floppy
Xircom 4 port USB card

Is there an ethernet option for that modem? USB was NEVER intended for networking, ethernet was.

I had a lot of problems with KT7A and USB webcam just because in softmenu I've set to "ENABLE" "enhance chip performance".
With this option set to "DISABLE" my webcam works well even with overclock.
KT7A and T-bird 1200@1366

I also have the Enhance Chip performance option set to enable, I will disable it and see what happens.

JY (Apr 14, 2001 08:42 a.m.):
I have a 250W power supply. I am running a T-bird 800@983 with my Vcore at 1.85 and Vio at 3.7V.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think your problem lies with only a 250 psu. That is as low as you can go with AMD and when you start adding usb devices and fans for cooling ect... you just run out of power. With core and I/O voltage set that high I don't think your PSU can keep up. Try a friends PSU or buy a 300w and try and if it works then great, if it don't then take it back. But I really think it is a power issue.

rugby (Apr 14, 2001 10:25 a.m.):
Is there an ethernet option for that modem? USB was NEVER intended for networking, ethernet was.

Had the same problem with a Starband modem. Pulled the USB adapter out and used the Ethernet port to fix it.

A larger PSU would be a good idea too.

Back