• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acer Aspire One

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does anyone here have hands on experience ? How is it ?

I would say I do, I own it, and love it. The screen is really nice, and the keyboard is confotable. The OS is ok, but you can always load another one on if you don't like it. The only real complaint I have with it is that you have to completely tear it apart to install more ram. The wifi card is wonderful, I'm in my basement and my router is 2 stories up and I'm getting 100 percent connection..

still waiting for my AO150 model (120GB, XP, 6cell). I'll have pictures of it in pieces once it arrives.
Hmm.. the reason why I didn't get the 120GB model is because I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the 120GB hard drive is 4200rpm=slow start up. I'm happy with my 8GB model.
Another cool feature of the aspire one is the ability to put an SD card into one of the SD card slots and instad of being read as 8+8 is will do a kind of on the fly "RAID" and will consider it 16 GB.
I got the blue one and love it.

God enough for me, I'll pick opn up later on today :) just need somethign that can get me on the website and is really small and cheap :) I'll post back later, thanks guys,

one more thing, is the lack of an optical drive much of a problem to anyone ?

I ordered the 120gb xp version as well (should come tomorrow) from what i've learned in my research its screen is awesome, and keyboard for being smaller than average is pretty nice. from what i read the touch pad is a little hard to get used to since the left and right click are not on the bottom of the pad like most laptops, they are on the side (just a getting used to kind of thing) I was really split between the 8gb and 120gb, the OS is what really decided it for me. if you took an 8gb hard drive and put xp on it that would take up a lot of space and you can store music and whatever else on the 120gb without worrying much about space. advantage of the 8gb would be less heat, less power required, and quieter. we'll see when i get it tomorow how i like it!

the place i was gonna get it from doesnt have it in yet... they are gonna cal when they do have it, i am going with the 8gn,, sure no xp, but oh well, i dont need to store music or anyhting its only for net access.

Hmm.. the reason why I didn't get the 120GB model is because I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the 120GB hard drive is 4200rpm=slow start up. I'm happy with my 8GB model.
Another cool feature of the aspire one is the ability to put an SD card into one of the SD card slots and instad of being read as 8+8 is will do a kind of on the fly "RAID" and will consider it 16 GB.
I got the blue one and love it.

I can't correct you since I'm not sure what it is as of yet but i'm going to either replace it with a 160GB WD Black or a 320GB Blue. *Edit* just checked out someone in Canada with the 120GB drive and it's a Hitachi 5k320 series drive.

It only does that in Linux, it doesn't treat the SD slots like that in Windows.

Last edited:
Yeah, either way its a decent netbook, or hell even a cheap desktop replacement haha, throw xp on it, and a keyboard/mouse and monitor :)

Yeah, either way its a decent netbook, or hell even a cheap desktop replacement haha, throw xp on it, and a keyboard/mouse and monitor :)

If you intend to put XP on it, you should go for a model with a hard disk. The 8GB SSD is not very fast in Windows due to the way Windows writes to the drive constantly (page file, etc). There's ways to make it more acceptable performance-wise but I still think a mechanical disk is the way to go for XP. For Linux, the SSD is fine (as long as you get the Samsung, it is faster for writes almost 2x than the Intel SSD).

I've also really been looking into purchasing one of these. Was planning on going with the 8gb linux version. I've been hesitant however since some of the reviews I've seen talk about issues with the wireless not working at all or failing after a week of use. Can anyone comment?

I have the linux version but with 120GB. Went to xp right away, wasn't as happy with the linux OS as I thougth I would be. No dropouts or any issues with wireless. Now on Vista, no issues either. The fan thing is a bit annoying if you don't use something to control it (it's always on, sometimes louder than it needs to be).

Upgraded to 1.5GB and 320GB HDD, very satisfied with overall performance.

Just got my Aspire one today. 6cell 120gb xp model. Start up is fine for me, not really that slow. The battery life is great too. Max brightness with wifi on/ internet browsing, msn, etc... lasts about 5 hours. The keyboard is pretty good, i can type at my normal speed with very little difficulty( i do have somewhat skinnier fingers though). Screen is great too.

Oh and the 6cell battery isnt that large, and doesnt really change the way this netbook can be carried/stored.

You can do older games (WoW from what I've heard)

it works on wimax & 3g networks as well ?

The Aspire One out right now does not have the hardware for it, but has the holes and ports to add your own. They will be including WiMAX and 3G later this year, but the mod is very easy if you want to do it yourself. Google "tnkgrl bluetooth ram mod" and a few results should pop up. She posted a view videos on how to add a 1.5 PATA drive to the SSD model, how to add RAM, and how to add bluetooth. She'll be posting a video on 3G next week I think

Last edited:
Back