• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adivce on decent 27in Monitors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

I am looking for a new 27" + monitor to replace my aging Asus VE276Q. My budget is around $350 USD ($500 CAD). Primary use is GAMING, my rig is in the sig RTX2070/i78700.

My priorities in a new monitor:
1. Decent vibrant color quality / gamut (lush greens and vibrant reds and deep blues)
2. Response time 4ms or less
3. 1080 or 1440p depending on size
4. Freesync for eventual toying with nVidia's upcoming options (G-sync out of my budget)

Brands I am partial to are Asus, MSI and Acer - as I have local support for warranty / replacements etc..

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks fellow OCer's :salute:

Thanks for the reply; At least 60hz, more is better but not necessary for me.

I expect you will need to just start researching reviews since you can't see any of them in person, unless you go to Costco or Bestbuy. Monitors tend to be one of those things that impact different people in different ways depending on what's important to them, expectations, visual accuity, pickiness, etc. For your budget you might not be able to get a primo 27" monitor that meets all of your criteria. You probably can with a with a 24" 1080p.

Thanks guys, it does seem to be a personal thing. Every store I go to has one or two monitors plugged into a crappy retail presentation which doesn't show anything about visual quality lol.. its not an easy thing to shop for.

Only thing I would point out on that one Manny is it's not IPS but TN. That may or may not matter to OP. It gets good marks by a lot of people. So lower toleration to changes in viewing angle but straight on it won't matter. The bigger issue to me is that IPS is supposed to give more vibrant colors. But a quality TN monitor will probably be better than a cheap IPS panel one.

Only thing I would point out on that one Manny is it's not IPS but TN. That may or may not matter to OP. It gets good marks by a lot of people. So lower toleration to changes in viewing angle but straight on it won't matter. The bigger issue to me is that IPS is supposed to give more vibrant colors. But a quality TN monitor will probably be better than a cheap IPS panel one.

To be honest, I didn't put much thought into what type of panel it was Mr T. I have a dell 24" I purchased about a year ago on the recommendation of one of our senior members, which is really nice. When I was looking for a new monitor for the lil guy, I asked again. That was the monitor they suggested, after reading a few reviews on it I bought it. My son plays a bunch of the popular games on it, COD and Fortnite come to mind. We have both his Ps4 and Pc hooked to it. According to my 15 yr old "it's sick" if that helps. :D

Ok so I am interested in these monitors which are avail locally;

Acer ED273 // 27" FHD Curved VA 4ms 144hz
Acer RT280K // 27" 4K Flat TN 60hz

Above my budget, would have to wait a bit:
Acer XZ321QU // 32" QHD Curved VA 4ms 144hz
MSI MPG27CQ // 27" QHD Curved TN 1ms 144hz

Any comments on these?

Thanks

Have you looked at this one yet? It's a Freesync IPS TN but has passed Nvidia'a latest test and with the next driver update (1-15-2019) should be fully supported by G-Sync. It's just a bit over your rang but is listed as one of the top 1440p 144hz monitors.

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-AG241QX-...9830178&sr=1-1&keywords=AOC+AGON+AG241QX&th=1

It's currently in my shopping cart awaiting the proper funds :)

EDIT: I've mis-spoken. It's actually a TN panel

Hmmm... looks like a good choice, I currently have a 27" I'm kind of afraid to downsize :chair:

Is a 24 inch screen a good idea for gaming?

They have the same thing in 27" for $400. Just select the correct one. I thought I linked the 27" but maybe it defaults to the 24" for some reason.

Capture.JPG

They have the same thing in 27" for $400. Just select the correct one. I thought I linked the 27" but maybe it defaults to the 24" for some reason.

View attachment 203474
I'm waiting on delivery of AN AOC Agon AG271QX from Tech Mall on ebay. Current listed price $615 with free postage. Less 20% promotion (until 14th January) for $492 delivered.

28 inch TN panel (I'm OK with this as it's for gaming) 144hz QHD 2560 x 1440 and 1ms response.

Going be a huge upgrade to my 1080p 60hz screen [emoji16]

PS I researching this upgrade I went away from a 32inch curved QHD panel with similar specs when I realised spreadsheets or regular computer work would all be curved.

https://ebay.com.au/usr/tech.mall

I just went through this. I wanted a 27" 1440p, IPS ( I cannot stand the look of a TN panel) and 75 Hz min refresh rate, as my eye sees a big difference between 60 and 75hz... everything just feels a bit smoother, even just dragging windows around. I also wanted a decent stand (some of the budget screens come with horrible stands)

This was the most affordable monitor that had good reviews I could find that satisfied all of those requirements.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9M7CQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am very very happy with it for the money!

Thank you for the recommendations all, I just bought an Acer XZ321QU, hoping it would be compatible with G-Sync like the XZ321Q. What a beast of a monitor! I love it so far, its a beast-sized monitor! I have a lot of adjustments to play with now and find a sweet spot for both gaming and general use. Either way this thing is incredible.

I have just tried the pendulum demo and G-Sync / Freesync WORKS on this - I wouldn't say perfectly, there is the occasional hiccup, but for the most part there is no tearing.

Back