• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Only Idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crewdog6969

Registered
This ought to be good for a few laughs but it is working pretty good. My temps with a 145-146fsb are 45-47 depending on the room air temp. If I pull my case out of my desk it cools down to 43-44C. Comments Ideas welcome

Who said it was a perfectly good airplane?
Shut Up And Jump!
Crewdog6969 <<<skydiving term...not a gangster

amdXP 1800+ @1633 Locked
512 ddr
maxtor 40gig 7200
geforce 3 ti500
MSI k7t266 pro2
plexwriter 12/10/32
16x dvd
networked to amd thunderbird 1.1
640 pc133 ram
hercules 64ddr 4500
soundblaster live
10gig oem 7200 gateway HD
shared broadband
unreal tournament 2 (Real Soon) :)
Both folding away for team 32

I see u have a fan on each side of the hsf...

I dunno if u have all three blowin in towards the middle, if so that's no good...

u should try having the fans the fans on the side both facing the same way, so on blows in, the other sucks out, and try removing the fan on top...

or flipping the fan on top to suck out...

I'm sure u can prob get better results than u have...

u could also try lappin your hsf, and I dunno what kinda thermal paste u have, that could help u out too

I think the only way something like that could work efficiently is if all fans are sucking .. Other wise the fans will be working against each other (to much turbulence).

Iron Hawk said:
How about the top fan blowing in, and the other two blowing out.

I agree with this... but the top fan will have to have the same input cfm as the 2 sucking out combined. or close to anyway.

All the fans are suckingthe heat off the heatsink. The air is comming from the clip slots. Because the slots are narrow the air is in theory being accelorated. I have tried to turn the fans but when mounted to blow into the heatsink they tend to hit the heatsink and slow or stop them. I would have to make a braket that would allow them to turn freely reversed. It is doing something. My temps only change about 5C degrees when I set the fsb from 133 to 143. My computer tends to become unstable after the 143 mark. before I set the cpu fans up this way I saw temps in the 48-51C range when overclocked with a load on the cpu now I dont go above 45C. Idle it sits around 40-41C.
BTW Thanks for all the feedback. I am still very new to Ocing. I have got the folding bug now so always looking for CHEAP ways to OC.

Shut Up And Jump!

amdXP 1800+ @1633 Locked
512 ddr
maxtor 40gig 7200
geforce 3 ti500
MSI k7t266 pro2
plexwriter 12/10/32
16x dvd
640 pc133 ram
hercules 64ddr 4500
soundblaster live
shared broadband

I think the best way would either be the top fan blowing straight down(this should be your default, anyway) then the side fans both pointing in the same direction. Either that, or remove one of the side fans, I would say.

You could also have the top sucking and the sides blowing in, or visa versa :p

Fuzzball,

My top fan is theway it came with the heatsink . So My top fan is blowing in to the heatsink. I stand corrected. My cpu is running at 43C with just the folding program running in the back ground right now. I tried with just the one fan on the side. With all three fans mounted there is a 1-3C diff from just 2fans I just got done playing serious sam2 for 4 hours. My temp did not get above 44C. If I start tweaking again I will try removing the 3rd fan again I only had about 2 days of testing before I came across the 3rd fan. When I put the 3rd one on I cleaned the cpu and heatsink and reapplied artic silver. Now its set up so the 2 side fans can be removed anytime. Again Thanks All For The Input!!!

Shut Up And Jump!

amdXP 1800+ @1633 Locked
512 ddr
maxtor 40gig 7200
geforce 3 ti500
MSI k7t266 pro2
plexwriter 12/10/32
16x dvd
640 pc133 ram
hercules 64ddr 4500
soundblaster live
shared broadband

Or remove the top fan and tape a piece of paper over the top. This will eliminate the dead spot and may get you some good temps. Make sure you have one of the side fans sucking in and one blowing out.

Install a direct duct from the case side to the heat sink fan.WILL LOWER TEMPS WAY BETTER THAN THE CURRENT SET UP...

The key to a great duct is making sure the fan does not have to suck its air supply......

diehrd said:
Install a direct duct from the case side to the heat sink fan.WILL LOWER TEMPS WAY BETTER THAN THE CURRENT SET UP...

The key to a great duct is making sure the fan does not have to suck its air supply......

My duct is connected to my case fan... and about half an hour ago i made a duct that goes from the hole on the outside to the floor... dropped my temp by 5 degrees! i noticed while working on something how much cooler it was near the floor so i gave it a try AND IT REALLY WORKS!! right now its just a duct made from card board but I will make something a little more stylish later. Also its much quieter now cause the fan whining ismuffles by the duct.

I like the Idea for a duct. I was thinking of using something like plastic plumbing pipe. My space is very limited so it would mean another hole in the front of my case. My computer sits in a cubby in my desk. All my cool air draw has to come from the front of my computer.
XL if I can find away to stack the fans without them rubbing I will try it. I kinda wondered if that would work myself? Does any one know?

Shut Up And Jump!

amdXP 1800+ @1633 Locked
512 ddr
maxtor 40gig 7200
geforce 3 ti500
MSI k7t266 pro2
640 pc133 ram
hercules 64ddr 4500
soundblaster live
shared broadband