• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1090t BE overclocking past 3800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dolk, granted Thuban is not Deneb, but they're similar enough for this to apply: AMD states that increased HT link speed may boost performance but no mention of stability. They later mention that during extreme OCing decreasing HT link speed improves stability.

In my experience, with a Brisbane and Biostar mobo, a minor increase in HT link speed over stock caused crash to desktop errors with BF2. I believe the OCing community consensus regarding HT link speed is to keep it at or below stock for optimum stability.

Attachments

• HTTBoost.jpg
    HTTBoost.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 238
  • HTTocing.jpg
    HTTocing.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 242
So it's clearly the motherboard now. I have reduced the voltage from my previous 1.45 to 1.375 and it's running stable. Any increase even with 1.6 voltage ends with a crash. :(

Also an off topic question that should go in the graphics area, but I'll ask it here since it may be the mobo as well (And that's what I'm assuming.) My graphics card can't seem to overclock past 965/1145. HD 6870. I set the voltage to 1.3 and I assumed that the voltage was the reason I couldn't get any higher, but earlier with this discussion I decided to test it. I can reduce my cards voltage to .95 and it will run smoothly with those speeds. (Maybe lower, at .9 it starts to get rough)

Can it be something else ? Like memory ? You got 2x4gb or 4x2gb ?

I have a 5 year old motherboard (techwise, i owned it for 3 years) which can take thubans. The first am2+ board from msi and I can do 3900 with 1.45v on my 1090t. I'm currently using 3300/3700, like a 1100t :D 2000 ht 2600 nb (all voltages on auto). Thou it's a bit tricky to separate nb / htt on this board because it doesn't have CPU-NB voltage or multi.

If all 4 ram slots are populated, it's recommended to bump ram voltage a bit.

I dunno if it's also related to ram quantity like 2x2 is ok but 2x4 you again might need a bit more voltage.

It's Corsair XMS3, 4x2. The memory overclock was the absolute last thing I did, I knew the limits of overclocking my cpu before I even touched the memory option. It was really scary having 3490 settings in there I could change. :eek:

- using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121068

I initially had my ram voltage set to 1.72 for the longest time, and yesterday when I was exploring how low I could go, I got em down to 1.55. (At 1.5 they crash) I haven't raised my NB back up to 2800 yet.

My main monitor is 1920x1080, but atm I'm playing Demons Souls on it and I'm too lazy to hook it back up, so you get my 1600/900 second monitor. :p

edit - how do I scale the image down?

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 218
IrfanView is a free and decent image editor.

How long does prime95 blend test last with the current RAM timings? I've never tinkered with DDR3 but I would assume 8-8-8-23-31 2t (JEDEC #3) would be better suited timings for that speed and amount of RAM. Maybe someone else can chime in?

IrfanView is a free and decent image editor.

How long does prime95 blend test last with the current RAM timings? I've never tinkered with DDR3 but I would assume 8-8-8-23-31 2t (JEDEC #3) would be better suited timings for that speed and amount of RAM. Maybe someone else can chime in?

No idea, I always thought that lower was better when it came to timings and such. But aside from that, at stock settings I was having a clock block. :(

And no idea about how long it lasts. It was running for ~10 minutes before I took the screenshot.

Thats is some really tight timings on the Memory. You could probably lossen them up greatly and reach that 4.0ghz. The problem is, that you may see the same performance now than if you hit 4ghz with a bit losser timings and a higher CPU-NB.

Corsair XMS3 4x2 ? Does that mean 4 sticks of 2 gb ram ?

All(1333/1600) 4x2gb Corsair ddr3 kits are rated 9-9-9-24, 1.65V, So you should stay at 1.72-1.75v for that. 4 sticks need slightly more voltage than 2 sticks when overclocking. And if you mix different ram brands, you use the slowest timing in the bunch for all of them. For example, if you have 8-8-8-20 2x2gb and 9-9-9-24 2x4gb rams, you'll need to set the latter manually for all. Still diff size rams and diff brand rams shouldn't be mixed when overclocking :D Complicating things.

Corsair XMS3 4x2 ? Does that mean 4 sticks of 2 gb ram ?

All(1333/1600) 4x2gb Corsair ddr3 kits are rated 9-9-9-24, 1.65V, So you should stay at 1.72-1.75v for that. 4 sticks need slightly more voltage than 2 sticks when overclocking. And if you mix different ram brands, you use the slowest timing in the bunch for all of them. For example, if you have 8-8-8-20 2x2gb and 9-9-9-24 2x4gb rams, you'll need to set the latter manually for all. Still diff size rams and diff brand rams shouldn't be mixed when overclocking :D Complicating things.

2x4, I use two 4 gig sticks. I know not to mix two different sticks. ^.^

I know the voltage it said was 1.75, but will it really help if I go back to that voltage? I can go down to 1.55 without a problem. And on that note, should I take my ram to stock clocks or is my overclocked ram decent?

Last edited:
Thats is some really tight timings on the Memory. You could probably lossen them up greatly and reach that 4.0ghz. The problem is, that you may see the same performance now than if you hit 4ghz with a bit losser timings and a higher CPU-NB.

I'd love to loosen the timings, but as I said before, even at stock settings my mobo would crash after I increase it past 6core / 3800. :(

Back