• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 965 Black Edition With M4A89TD Pro Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bill86

I guess I'll state the obvious. I have tried looking at youtube videos and these forums amongst others to figure this out. I don't seem to get it, probably a user error as I never have overclocked before. These motherboard bios seem to have all the settings but whichever numbers I've tried entering always lead to a BSOD.

I am running a Corsair H100i cooling system and my temperatures will handle 3.4 stock to 4.0 ghz overclock effortlessly (probably 40 C max temp while playing games)

I have disabled the AMD CIE support and Cool & Quiet functions. Even when they were enabled the result was the same.

If I had to guess I just don't understand the voltage settings for this motherboard and how to tweek them. I have not tried using third party or ASUS supported OC programs as I have read that is generally a bad idea.

I did look into Prime95 and Intel Burn Test but both of those BSOD me after mere minutes. Clearly I am doing something wrong.

I guess I just need someone to point me in the right direction to stable numbers. I have a few other things I need to fix with my computer (storage hard drive isn't working) and I'd like to get on that.

My processor being as old as it is I'd like to get it to 4.0 ghz stable and just ride it out for ~6 months till I can get a new setup.

If you don't know my motherboard settings in terms of voltage obviously don't allow an easy enter number. You do the whole +/- thing and play with what I imagine are what you want to add to the stock settings? Maybe?

Some help would be amazing.

Vcore is the voltage you'll need to increase for overclocking.

Just bump it up slowly until Prime95 doesn't BSOD for give errors.
Watch you temps, try and stay below 55C.

The more experienced one will chime in soon enough, but Vcore will get you started. :)

Also, can we see screenshots of cpu-z?
The main tab, memory tab, SPD tab and mainboard tab. Like this:
Cpu-z_Example.PNG

If you don't know my motherboard settings in terms of voltage obviously don't allow an easy enter number. You do the whole +/- thing and play with what I imagine are what you want to add to the stock settings? Maybe?

Some help would be amazing.

You said it right on in that we have no actual idea how "much" voltage your cpu may need want or can handle in getting to a specific overclock. Cooling will be key in that heat may become too much before you even arrive at too much Vcore.

Now all that said your manual or even the bios may say press F12 to save image of that portion of bios to Usb stick formatted in FAT32. WYSIWYG is how the bios picture is saved. If you are at top of bios screen...well you won't save the bootom of the screen without scrolling down and saving again. Some of the bios screens in my ASUS CHV board takes almost 3 scrolls to actually get the entire setings of one of my bios menu pages.

You will need to open pics in paint or other image program and convert from a TOO large bitmap file to a smaller .jpg file then attach to a post in this thread. THEN we get to see what you are looking at. Most of us can overclock a billygoats booty if we see the menu written on the left cheek. Let us see your bios menu in overclocking section.

Luck man.
RGone...

You said it right on in that we have no actual idea how "much" voltage your cpu may need want or can handle in getting to a specific overclock. Cooling will be key in that heat may become too much before you even arrive at too much Vcore.

Now all that said your manual or even the bios may say press F12 to save image of that portion of bios to Usb stick formatted in FAT32. WYSIWYG is how the bios picture is saved. If you are at top of bios screen...well you won't save the bootom of the screen without scrolling down and saving again. Some of the bios screens in my ASUS CHV board takes almost 3 scrolls to actually get the entire setings of one of my bios menu pages.

You will need to open pics in paint or other image program and convert from a TOO large bitmap file to a smaller .jpg file then attach to a post in this thread. THEN we get to see what you are looking at. Most of us can overclock a billygoats booty if we see the menu written on the left cheek. Let us see your bios menu in overclocking section.

Luck man.
RGone...

Alright my bios didn't allow for the F12 save. So unfortunately you're stuck with Iphone pictures.

1st jpeg.jpg 2nd jpeg.jpg

Here is the CPU-Z screenshots. These are stock with the bios unchanged, except the CIE and Cool and quiet disabled.

image0001.jpg image0002.jpg image0003.jpg image0004.jpg

Bill the easiest way to go about it is folowing Dolks guide. It's not rocket science but it will take patience to do it properly. It sounds like you have been watching videos and just plugging in numbers that are told from them, correct me if I'm wrong. Problem with doing so is every Cpu is different, very few will require the same volts as X oc and another. Read the guide, as it is very helpful in understanding what exactly you're doing when overclocking. Then do one more thing, download Hwmonitor "non pro" open it and run Prime blend for 20 minutes, if the socket or package temps go above 62 stop the test. Post back a SS of Hwmonitor after you run prime so we have an idea of what the temps are at stock settings.

Man I miss my old M4A board. It was a good motherboard.

1st, There is no promise that cpu will do 4ghz with respectable temps. reason being is seeing 1.5v or more for a clock speed that high is quite common.

2nd is heat with 4ghz and high voltage. You say the cooler can do this or that, But I know stability will be lost anything much over 50c either core or socket temp. These chips always responded very well to mid 40c temps, and this is no easy accomplishment.

Questions I have.

What speed does it start failing?

Did you use reference (bus) clock increase IE: 200 to 210.

How do you set your memory up? Manually or left auto.

Lastly-

Do some overclocking, get to that point your having trouble and post screen shots of your Cpu-z's like you did up there, and lets see how far you got, then lets see how far we can assist you.

I did read through that guide. Mostly my problem is understand the way to tweek MY motherboard. Some are as simple as putting in the numbers directly mine seems to be a bit more complicated.

That and I really need a TL: DR because that much information to me is way too overwhelming and I just get caught up in the never ending wall of text. I need a short and simple beginners guide that focuses on what exactly my motherboard says and where to start in tweeking those settings for MY motherboard.

Sorry I'm just way too new to this sort of thing. I usually play with computers once they are running and never really delve into the bios. Just trying to get a little more out of my processor with this cooling until I get a nice and new CPU/MOBO.

As for the HWmonitor, I can take a look at that in a bit and run prime blend for 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Man I miss my old M4A board. It was a good motherboard.

1st, There is no promise that cpu will do 4ghz with respectable temps. reason being is seeing 1.5v or more for a clock speed that high is quite common.

2nd is heat with 4ghz and high voltage. You say the cooler can do this or that, But I know stability will be lost anything much over 50c either core or socket temp. These chips always responded very well to mid 40c temps, and this is no easy accomplishment.

Questions I have.

What speed does it start failing?

Did you use reference (bus) clock increase IE: 200 to 210.

How do you set your memory up? Manually or left auto.

Lastly-

Do some overclocking, get to that point your having trouble and post screen shots of your Cpu-z's like you did up there, and lets see how far you got, then lets see how far we can assist you.

I think you aren't understanding how foreign this is to me. I just play wack a mole with the settings and punch in every number I found on the internet. You might as well have a 12 year old throw darts at a board and put in those numbers. That's pretty much where I'm at :D

Ah Common' you had to have read something that says one setting at a time with exception of x settings should be disabled. You already proved that by turning off cool and quiet, so your actually one step ahead of most new guys on the overclocking scene.

I always like to have the new guys start with one thing at a time to avoid confusion. really having an unlocked multiplier makes it easy, but there are variables such as temperatures. These need to be closely monitored at all times while overclocking.

OK start simple. Do a simple multiplier over clock, changing auto to manual OC settings, apply Cpu multiplier to 17.5 for a 100mhz overclock. Cpu Voltage is stock 1.35v and you should test this low overclock with Prime95. If you experience issues, you may raise the voltage + 1 click above 1.35v. If you only have the option for + or - it will default from that 1.35, so one click up should range around 1.362500 vcore. again, leave cool and quiet plus C1E off.

Leave your memory on auto. We will get to that after we gain some processor frequency.

Test prime95 for like 20 minutes. Grab a cpu-z shot with hwmonitor so we can see temps before you exit prime95.

Maybe I don't understand but with a 30 C idle temp, 35C in games what would be the purpose of testing temps or anything at 100 mhz overclock? Is it going to magically add 20-25C to make it a problem? Like I said I had it at 4 ghz and in games I wasn't breaking 40 C. There was another problem no doubt but temperature wasn't it. Probably voltage, my motherboard has like 5 things attached to voltage....I'm sure I didn't do that right.

I guess I'm wondering what ratios/other settings played a part in my failed 4 ghz overclock. I don't mind starting at like 3.6 (300mz overclock) but I really already spent enough time wasted I don't REALLY want to start at 100 mhz. I mean if there is nothing else....but I'd imagine I could skip ahead to some comfortable middle. This is fun for you guys, this is extremely frustrating to me, I've got quite a bit of things that need to get done. It would be better if this was just out of the way and over with.

Or maybe I just don't get it yet.....

Maybe I don't understand but with a 30 C idle temp, 35C in games what would be the purpose of testing temps or anything at 100 mhz overclock? Is it going to magically add 20-25C to make it a problem? Like I said I had it at 4 ghz and in games I wasn't breaking 40 C. There was another problem no doubt but temperature wasn't it. Probably voltage, my motherboard has like 5 things attached to voltage....I'm sure I didn't do that right.

I guess I'm wondering what ratios/other settings played a part in my failed 4 ghz overclock. I don't mind starting at like 3.6 (300mz overclock) but I really already spent enough time wasted I don't REALLY want to start at 100 mhz. I mean if there is nothing else....but I'd imagine I could skip ahead to some comfortable middle. This is fun for you guys, this is extremely frustrating to me, I've got quite a bit of things that need to get done. It would be better if this was just out of the way and over with.

Or maybe I just don't get it yet.....
Bill, understand a few things. We have all been in your shoes at one point or another. Everyone of us could get on your Pc and have it overclocked in no time stable. Problem is we cannot get our hands on it, so we need as much information as possible. That way we know exactly what we're dealing with. You telling us temps doesn't help us because we do not know if we are talking/thinking about the same temp. Seeing a Hwmonitor screen shot under load helps us see exactly where your temps are and which ones are what. It also shows us what the voltages are doing under load.

As far as the overclocking goes, from what I'm understanding it booted and played games at 4.0 but blue screens when stressed tested. Reason it's bluescreening is it is not stable. Very few of us will consider an overclock stable unless we can pass at least 2 hours of Prime 95 blend. I game on my computer as well as use it for work, I know that if I pass 2 hours of blend, I can use my computer for anything and I have no issues. Now can we just throw voltage at it and hope for the best, sure. It is also much more difficult to try and find stability doing so and can also be a lot more frustrating. Sometimes just throwing voltage at the chip isn't the answer. Additionally, overclocking just the Cpu isn't going to give you the best performance for gaming, getting the Nb Frequency mhz up a bit is also helpful. Though that should be messed with down the road.

Overclocking correctly is a process, we can help you learn how to do it correctly and have your rig running at a really good overall Oc but it's going to take time and information. The suggestion Shrimp mentioned is a good way to start. Manually set the voltage to 1.35v raise the Multiplier .5 then run prime blend 20 minutes to find a tentatively stablie oc. Keep the socket and package temps below 62. If you pass 20 minutes raise the multi again rinse and repeat until you fail blend 20 minutes. What I will normally do when I fail is use that spot to find a truly stable Oc, which I use as a fall back Oc setting. At the point of failure, I will then raise the voltage .00625 or +1 and run prime again, this time trying to pass 2 hours. If I fail I keep raising the volts .00625 or +1 depending on the motherboard, until I pass or I hit the recommended max temps of 62. The reason I try to find 2 hour stability at this point is as I said to have a fall back Oc setting. When pushing our Oc's we can at times lose our way. Having this known fall back stable Oc allows you to just set it back there and start from that point, instead of going back to stock settings. Another suggestion is to take notes on all the changes you make it will be very helpful down the road.

Can't overclock without putting in the time and effort.
Time to get a faster OEM rig.
BTW, your ram is in the wrong slots.

Last edited:
Bill, understand a few things. We have all been in your shoes at one point or another. Everyone of us could get on your Pc and have it overclocked in no time stable. Problem is we cannot get our hands on it, so we need as much information as possible. That way we know exactly what we're dealing with. You telling us temps doesn't help us because we do not know if we are talking/thinking about the same temp. Seeing a Hwmonitor screen shot under load helps us see exactly where your temps are and which ones are what. It also shows us what the voltages are doing under load.

As far as the overclocking goes, from what I'm understanding it booted and played games at 4.0 but blue screens when stressed tested. Reason it's bluescreening is it is not stable. Very few of us will consider an overclock stable unless we can pass at least 2 hours of Prime 95 blend. I game on my computer as well as use it for work, I know that if I pass 2 hours of blend, I can use my computer for anything and I have no issues. Now can we just throw voltage at it and hope for the best, sure. It is also much more difficult to try and find stability doing so and can also be a lot more frustrating. Sometimes just throwing voltage at the chip isn't the answer. Additionally, overclocking just the Cpu isn't going to give you the best performance for gaming, getting the Nb Frequency mhz up a bit is also helpful. Though that should be messed with down the road.

Overclocking correctly is a process, we can help you learn how to do it correctly and have your rig running at a really good overall Oc but it's going to take time and information. The suggestion Shrimp mentioned is a good way to start. Manually set the voltage to 1.35v raise the Multiplier .5 then run prime blend 20 minutes to find a tentatively stablie oc. Keep the socket and package temps below 62. If you pass 20 minutes raise the multi again rinse and repeat until you fail blend 20 minutes. What I will normally do when I fail is use that spot to find a truly stable Oc, which I use as a fall back Oc setting. At the point of failure, I will then raise the voltage .00625 or +1 and run prime again, this time trying to pass 2 hours. If I fail I keep raising the volts .00625 or +1 depending on the motherboard, until I pass or I hit the recommended max temps of 62. The reason I try to find 2 hour stability at this point is as I said to have a fall back Oc setting. When pushing our Oc's we can at times lose our way. Having this known fall back stable Oc allows you to just set it back there and start from that point, instead of going back to stock settings. Another suggestion is to take notes on all the changes you make it will be very helpful down the road.

Eh I understand the information but slow rolling it at 100 mhz seems a bit ridiculous, but like I said, what do I know. Looking at it from the outside in I just think there should be an EASY-ISH way to get maybe 300 mhz overclock without spending hours and hours. Now if I wanted to fight at get it at max, I get that takes time. I guess some previous posters seem to make it sound easier than what I'm being told now....

It booted and went into games but shortly after BSOD. So I dunno 5-10 minutes in a game no temp problems...but something else caused the BSOD every time.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't overclock without putting in the time and effort.
Time to get a faster OEM rig.
BTW, your ram is in the wrong slots.

and I understand that. I would just like to minimize this time because I've already spent a lot and put in a lot of effort. As I've already stated, yes it is time for faster CPU/MOBO and I will get one, but until then I just wanted to get more out of this one.

I have one stick of ram, it is in one slot, maybe that is wrong? I dunno.

Certainly must put in the time and the effort...

...somebody else put in this time and effort so you would be just copying numbers in that I converted to fit your ram. So you are just keying in settings and not really overclocking. See what happens.

I took these settings from a user that was stable at 4050MHz using a big hefty ram overclock and CPU_NB overclock and big HT Link Speed overclock. I converted the numbers to fit your ram and overclock with CPU multiplier only. BUT you should see that the speed in the 4.0GHz range takes a LOT more voltage for stability than you have been giving your cpu.

You can try these "numbers" for a setup and see if it passes 20 mins of P95 Blend Mode and if so then go for 2 hours without error or temps exceeding 60c on cpu socket and cpu package as seen in HWMonitor which should be running in background while using P95 Blend mode so that min/max temps and voltages can be logged.

This stuff is not that hard. But there are you same plain english settings. Try them EXACTLY as shown. Might work. Might have to make amendments.

Ai Overclock Tuner to MANUAL.
#1. Turn off core unlocker. You already have 4 cores so no need to use it.
#2. My advice is to reset everything back to defaults.
#3. In power, hardware monitor, disable the monitor for Vcore. ( I read a review that , suggested it had some limiting effect on voltage available to the overclock).
#4. Dont let your cpu over 60 degree C.
#5. to remove a possible complication in overclocking, suggest you just use two sticks of ram for now in the slots specified in manual for DUAL CHANNEL mode.
#6 Here are some settings for stable 4GHz overclock. You should set the ram to 1333 MHZ CL9 to begin with and concentrate on getting the CPU overclock stable first.

SET as shown below:
Ai Overclock Tuner to MANUAL.
CPU Ratio: 20.0
CPU Bus Frequency:200
CPU Freq: 4000MHz
PCIE Freq: 100
DRAM Freq: 1600Mhz OR even set ram to DDR3-1333 to begin with.
DRAM Timings: 9- 9 - 9 - 24 - 33 - 2T
CPU/NB Freq: 2000Mhz
HT link Speed: 2000Mhz
CPU Voltage: 1.4906v (1.512 in CPUZ) Adjust cpu voltage as necessary until about 1.5V to cpu is indicated.
CPU/NB Voltage: 1.3000v
CPU VDDA Voltage:2.6000v
DRAM Volt: 1.6000v
HT Voltage: 1.3250v
NB voltage: 1.2000v

RGone...

After some reading and gathering some information.... You've spent a lot of time and effort, But I can't see it. In fact you've typed to us something that we cannot see. You've produced not one screen shot that's beyond stock frequencies.

You'd like to "Junp 300mhz", but we have to believe your cooling is doing a good job. Most games use only 2 cores. But that doesn't mean it's stable at all. That's why the full load testing and screen shot so we can criticize your cooling solution where it may be needed to ensure you do have a stable running system.

Just because it's stable at 3.6ghz running a game and then BSOD when you exit the game, tells us your no where near stable. For example.

Basically you've said, One stick of Ram, BSOD, 4ghz and I don't believe you mentioned voltage used for that 4ghz.

Since you only have one stick of RAM, I'm trying to determine why when usually when purchased new, they come in pairs....

Any who, I'd test the ram stick everything stock with Memtest especially if you fried a stick already and that's why you only have one?

Eh I understand the information but slow rolling it at 100 mhz seems a bit ridiculous, but like I said, what do I know. Looking at it from the outside in I just think there should be an EASY-ISH way to get maybe 300 mhz overclock without spending hours and hours. Now if I wanted to fight at get it at max, I get that takes time. I guess some previous posters seem to make it sound easier than what I'm being told now....

It booted and went into games but shortly after BSOD. So I dunno 5-10 minutes in a game no temp problems...but something else caused the BSOD every time.

- - - Updated - - -

and I understand that. I would just like to minimize this time because I've already spent a lot and put in a lot of effort. As I've already stated, yes it is time for faster CPU/MOBO and I will get one, but until then I just wanted to get more out of this one.

I have one stick of ram, it is in one slot, maybe that is wrong? I dunno.

Patience man :)

I have spent easily 5+ days overclocking my FX 6300 and I'm still not finished with it.
I was new to AMD (still am :p ) so I had to go slowly.

I jumped right to 4 Ghz and had issues for hours.
I was told by the rest of the putzen gang to slow down, and OC by 100 Mhz at a time.

Slow and steady my friend, slow and steady wins the overclockcing race :D

Also, you should look into 2 sticks of the same RAM. Like these -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231536
You will see much better preformance.

Patience man :)

I have spent easily 5+ days overclocking my FX 6300 and I'm still not finished with it.
I was new to AMD (still am :p ) so I had to go slowly.

I jumped right to 4 Ghz and had issues for hours.
I was told by the rest of the putzen gang to slow down, and OC by 100 Mhz at a time.

Slow and steady my friend, slow and steady wins the overclockcing race :D

Also, you should look into 2 sticks of the same RAM. Like these -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231536
You will see much better preformance.

I hear ya. Sorry guys I have no patience and get VERY frustrated VERY quick. I guess I just don't like things I don't understand, probably like anyone, and it sucks seeing BSOD after BSOD.

Explain how 2X4 gigs of ram is better than 1x8 gigs please?

I hear ya. Sorry guys I have no patience and get VERY frustrated VERY quick. I guess I just don't like things I don't understand, probably like anyone, and it sucks seeing BSOD after BSOD.

Explain how 2X4 gigs of ram is better than 1x8 gigs please?

I'm the same way haha :p
I get excited with hardware sometimes and just go nutz until nothing works. Then I start from scratch slowly.

It's better because the CPU can use dual channel memory instead of single channel.
Like a 1 lane road to the city, or a 2 lane road to the city.

2 lane road is much faster :)

Back