• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd-k6-2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djs488

i recently took apart an old laptop with an AMD-K6-2 processor in it. It was running at about 300Mghz. It seems about the same size as a regular desktop processor, and i havent come across a "mobile" AMD-K6. Do you suppose I could just get like a 500Mgz AMD-K6-2 processor, put it in, and it would work just fine?

It could still be a K6-2 meant for laptops, even if it wasn't a K6-2+. They made k6-2's for laptops before the plus series that had lower core voltage, 2.0 or 2.1, than the regular k6-2 series.
A regular k6-2 ought to work, but you would be much better off getting a k6-2+.
They are still available on ebay, if you get a good bid on one, you can get it for less than $30.00. And you can get them from Tiger Direct for $35.00.
WIth their cooler running .18 micron architecture, and Power Now power saving features, they are much better than the regular K6-2, especially for a laptop. Even if the BIOS won't allow you to take advantage of all of the chips features.

yeah, the two seem to have the same voltage, i forget what it was but when i checked it, it was the same. besides, if it doesn't work it'll only put me back $30. thanks guys

but hold on. Are you saying a K6-2+ would be a better processor, however, you're not sure that it works on a laptop? just wanna make sure im getting the right one

The + is better since it uses less voltage (less heat) but it also has an L2 cache which the non + doesn't have. I believe that (and power now) is what repoman11 was refering to when he said it might not be able to use all the features. If your laptop uses the cache that would be good and the CPU would perform better then a non + version, if it doesn't see the cache it will perform the same as the non + version.

So go for a + if you can get one.

What he said. Darn work it cuts into the time I can spend here.

To further clarify, Power Now was a power saving feature that the K6-2+ and K6-3+ CPU's offered. But if there isn't a BIOS to support them for that laptop motherboard, it won't be used.
But even if some of the more advanced features aren't used, the plus series K6-2 and 3 are definitely better in any application, but especially for a laptop.

so what i get is that the + version may not work in full on the laptop, however, it will definately work, and definatley be better than the regular k6-2

I'd say it was worth a shot, there are software utils to turn on features the BIOS doesn't turn on for you. It is highly likely that the BIOS will display something wierd on boot, but it should work. However the multipliers are exactly the same on the K6-2+ as the K6-2 so unless you do some socket hacking or something, as a direct replacement it will only run with the same multi as the 300Mhz part, thus will be at 300Mhz until you change something. If the fsb in the laptop is set at 66Mhz (probably no way you're gonna change the fsb on a laptop) then the max you can get is 400Mhz on the 6x multiplier. If it's at 100Mhz, then you're in luck and will probably easily get 500 out of a 450Mhz part, or even 600 if you're lucky. Those K6-2+ variants do have the facility of a software controlled multiplier and there are utils to adjust the multi on the fly. However, I am pretty sure the motherboard has to support that. So you'll probably have to hardwire the multi you want.

Anyway IMHO it's definitely worth a try because the plus series chips have quite a speed advantage even at the same clockspeed, although I suspect the most likely situation is getting 400Mhz out of it, which on modern applications would seem like double the speed, since many things are L2 cache intensive these days. If the onboard graphics are any good at all, that would enable being able to play games like halflife at a bearable frame rate at lower resolutions.

I'd say definitely go for the ones that tigerdirect have because the ones on eBay often hit over $50 which is ridiculous considering the age of the chip but reflects thier reputation as the premier socket 7 chip.

regards,

Road Warrior

magic 8 ball says "k6-2+ possible"

I have a K6-2+ 450 from Tiger Direct running happily - even gleefully at 500mhz in my desktop with a super socket mobo - that being said - I needed to upgrade my bios to run a k6-2+ and my board had to have relatively low voltage capacity aka 2.0 - and fsb at 100mhz.

So - before you start ordering - I would recommend doing a little online research about the laptop model - the bios may not be compatable with the + functionality - may be upgradeable but maybe not. if it is a really early laptop k6-2 and ran at 66mhz you may not be able to put anything in it beside another k6-2 300mhz.
That would be unfortunate because my experience indicates that their is a vast difference in the speed of the k6-2+ vs the non-plus due to the L2 cache. Having like 256k memory is pretty key too.

I have a Compaq laptop with a K6-2 350 in it. Did some digging and found the necessary info for the dip switches. I can get something like 66, 75, 83, 90, 95, 100 MHz fsb and several multi's. I've thought about upgrading too, though I haven't done it yet. Got it running at 380 stable. Not sure if I found the voltage info though.

Definately check that out to make sure you can get full speed from the new cpu.

yeah, it was a toshiba sattelite 2060CDS and the motherboard says TOSHIBA also, so they must make their own. the only problem is i'll have to buy a new heatsink and fan for it if im gonna overclock it to keep it cool right? right now it has a tiny (like .5" diameter) fan going to a heatsink that is barely 2 cm in height with no thermal grease. i figure that if i put on a normal heatsink and fan, along with thermal grease that would keep it alot cooler than it normally was. Keep in mind im trying to put this back together as something other than a laptop.

looking around

I have been looking around a little - I would recommend visiting

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

for a little background on k6-2+ installs- Apparently the + chips will work on a 66mhz bus with a couple quid pro quos...

Also - I visited the Toshiba forum where a number of individuals asked about upgrading the CPU in their laptops - of course the official word is the they are not either changable or upgradable, but in one instance when the responding rep was pressured a little, he admitted that at least unofficially it is possible - so you have at least a glimmer of hope for someting beyond say a 366mhz k6-2.

Here is the toshiba location to download the latest official version of BIOS for your model :

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...ineID=ccciadcihjjgkmhcgfkceghdgngdglk.0&ct=DL

Avoid K6-2+!
I have an old CTX laptop with K6-2 300mhz as well.
It uses a very common motherboard that support only 66mhz.

The best I could do was finding the rare K6-3 333mhz with on-board 256K cache. I manage to overclock a little by using the 2x Multiplier which was remapped to 6x by AMD = 400mhz.

However, it ran kind of hot inside the laptop.

I love the K6-2+, but it is supported by only a VERY small list of motherboard!

Back