• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD: Locked and Unlocked CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Swiss

I've got a question that I don't think has been addressed. Well, not good enough for me to find it.

I've been thinking about upgradeing the CPU in my machine, but my problem is of locked and unlocked CPUs (Bartons to be exact). Are Bartons cores unlocked from the factory, or does it depend on the chipset that your using. The reason why i'm asking is because I use to have an old EPOX board with a KT333 Chipset that wouldn't allow a 2400+ T-bird to be unlocked without doing the bridge mod. In order to keep me from destroying the CPU I elected to buy Abits NF7-S board so I wouldn't have to worry about unlocking the chip with the bridge mod. I've seen some post show a date of manufacture as a factor. This is where I get confused. If I were to buy a Barton core, will these be unlocked with the NForce2 chipset or do I need to look for a date when the CPU was made. This is of course for free access to the multiplier of the chip. 10X to 15X or what ever the Bartons range is.

I don't want to limit this to just the Barton core, even other AMD chip information would be great.

Most if not all chips made after week 39 are locked your best bet is to get a athlon xp mobile they come unlocked from the default multi down.

Like Avg said, most AMD are now locked, and superlocked at that(NO mod will unlock it). If you find one with the last set of numbers (AIXIB0337SPMW, that is an example) adn the 6th thru 9th numbers read 0339 or before, you will have an UNLOCKED CPU. If the number is 0340 it will MOST likely be superlocked.

To bypass all of this, just get a mobile version. Them come multi unlocked and they tend to be better OCers anyways.

OKay, that makes it easier to figure out. Thank you. But is this limited to all Barton cores? Both 166 mhz and 200mhz FSBs? One other question.. The mobile XP arn't in Barton cores are they? I guess it really doesn't matter at this point lol, cause this 2400+ is sitting at 480mhz or 220x2 overclocked. The reason why I was asking is because i've got another NF7-S sitting in a case ready to go, I was just trying to find my options on CPUs, But if the Barton core is not unlockable I'm not sure I want it. I was just trying to weight out all options.

xp mobiles beyond the 2200 are Barton cores. only there are more sturdy and unlocked... with a few other bonuses......

all moblies also run at a lower voltage which means you can likely get a higher OC 9Im not saying you WILL because theres always that one odd ball chip)

Thanks for all the great info. I've got one more question lol. With the mobiles are there any problems with these sitting in a desktop socket? I think I read a post somewheres with some saying that they wouldn't fit in some boards.

no problems with any motherboard I'm aware of. Works fine in both my abit and asus boards. They look like desktop bartons.....

the chipset your using doesnt effect the chips unlocked/lockeed status for one. and as stated above all Bartons after week 39 are locked except the mobiles...so you would be better of getting an XP mobile 2600 or 2500 if you want to OC...

the socket for the mobile and desktops are exactly the same..the only diffrence is that the mobiles run at a lower vcore then the desktops..for obvious reasons..this makes them great overclockers when you tie it in with the fact that their multi unlocked. :drool:

plus you cant beat it for 85 bucks :attn:

Back