• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Or Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Chris_F said:

It's not my life, but it is my job and recreation.

I work with video. I edit, do a lot of Photoshop and After Effects, and a ton of 3D. I'll always use Intel as my tool. With FX, nothing beats Intel for a PC. A lot of fellow editors I know with confirm this as well.

Hmm maybe you should read this - their results on photoshop have AMD XP3000 in front of the Intel 3Ghz with 800FSB.
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110923,00.asp

I own a retail shop/repair center and sell quite a few systems. About 95 percent of all of our computer sales have been Athlons. Mostly because when you tell a person the price difference, they will usually opt for the AMD.

Out of hundreds of AMD systems sold, we have never had any chips burn up or go bad. Stability wise, they have all been rock stable systems. The main system I use at work is an Athlon 1.33 on an old ASUS AMD760 DDR board. I crunch lots of data, have multiple log-in sessions doing crap in the background, and the system never has crashed, spontaneously rebooted or anything.

Anyway, in response to the original question, I say either platform is fine. Obviously right now, Intels have their overclocking advantages. If I had the cash, I probaby would get a nice ABit or ASUS i865 board and overclock the hell out of a 2.4C or whatever.

However, if price is a concern, AMD is the only way to go. I currently run an AthlonXP 2700+ on an ASUS A7N8X nForce2 board, Geforce4 Ti4200, and it runs everything great. Games are super smooth and everything is rock solid as far as stability goes. I always felt the P4 platform was rather "clunky" feeling until the recent good Intel chipsets such as the 845PE and now the 865/875.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Back