• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else thinking 3060Ti Crypto build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
I think it's eth hashrate is around 60. A little 4 GPU farm cranking 240Mh/s...

$1600-1800 for GPUs
$250-350 for PSU
$250 for CPU/MB/RAM/SSD/Misc
$100 for rack.

$2200-2500 Complete

$200ish a month. Pays for itself after a year assuming free electricity. But will still be worth some $ after that year of usage.

Yes/No? Maybe? Worth selling some crap to raise funds to do it?

True, but if you started working them and sold them in a year what would the depreciation be? Sell a $400 card for $300?

Ya, prices and availability is rather messed up right now ..
but 3060/3070 make for really nice miners

however 5700xt isnt very far away and far more accessible (I built one recently :) )

RX 5700 XT is a good starting point now. Try picking a low budget one like Challenger. Can guess you need to unlock a bit the GPU core and volts adding some clocks to memory just like with Vega 56/64. Regards

RX 5700 XT is a good starting point now. Try picking a low budget one like Challenger. Can guess you need to unlock a bit the GPU core and volts adding some clocks to memory just like with Vega 56/64. Regards

Id avoid the challenger, asus dual and msi evok/mech tbh
sapphire nitro, sapphire pulse, gigabyte oc, or msi gaming-x gave been pretty good in my experience

After mining through 2014->2016 I have a hard time trying to justify buying hardware for mining as getting to ROI can be really hard unless holding on long-term and hoping for increase of value in the future and possibly taking a short-term loss.

Right now I'm mining ETH on my 3080, it does around 85MH/s without doing any real tweaking which is easy enough [and my 5900x on XMR doing around 14k h/s] but those are ones I already own.

After mining through 2014->2016 I have a hard time trying to justify buying hardware for mining as getting to ROI can be really hard unless holding on long-term and hoping for increase of value in the future and possibly taking a short-term loss.

Right now I'm mining ETH on my 3080, it does around 85MH/s without doing any real tweaking which is easy enough [and my 5900x on XMR doing around 14k h/s] but those are ones I already own.

totally a long term thing, there is no easy money after all :)

This is why I bring up using 3060Tis. After a year of use these cards will still be relevant and should have decent resale value. A 5700XT may not be as relevant in a year.

This is why I bring up using 3060Tis. After a year of use these cards will still be relevant and should have decent resale value. A 5700XT may not be as relevant in a year.

true I guess, but you need to calculate that relevance, will it be relevant enough to cover the price diff right now ? I was gonna do a comparison, but I cant even find a 3060 .. and the 5700 are mostly overpriced now .. if the price is same, then of course it makes no sense to get 5700s

Best buy had a huge drop this morning of everything 3060ti through 3090. Didn't manage to catch any of the 80s. 3060ti is around the $400 mark

Yeah we pay around $0.11-0.12/kwh here in central Ohio (that's the price after all the taxes/fees/charges/etc) general rate being around $0.05-0.06. Even still becomes hard to justify if hoping to pay itself back in real time.

SoCal Edison has a multi-tier billing scheme whereby the more you use, the more you pay per kwh. 10 or 12 years ago when I was going gangbusters with my folding@home farm, my electric bill was $498/month. It was OK because I was working and getting tons of overtime.

Best buy had a huge drop this morning of everything 3060ti through 3090. Didn't manage to catch any of the 80s. 3060ti is around the $400 mark

oh wow ! now thats a good deal indeed. I just checked newegg quickly as im in EU now... cant really get any good deals like that here though, I paid about 500 for 5700 and a 3060 is 700ish

To expand on my neighbor comment. Neighbor to the east of me barely lives there. Neighbor to the South of me abandoned his house a decade ago and his daughter has been maintaining it from over an hour away. Corner lot, so no either neighbors abut my lot.

So..... I don't steal tho.

I put the free electricity so you can decide how to pay for the electricity. Ignore the cost as I am. Subtract cost from monthly earnings. Or subtract cost from proceeds of sale of equipment.

No matter what way you go buying with the intent of reselling and mining having equal value in the equation will garner safe return. If cost of electricity goes up or difficulty goes up and mining becomes unprofitable you can sell equipment immediately for little loss. If cost of electricity and difficulty stays within reason then at end of year you've covered cost of equipment plus can wholesale equipment and cover electricity. Or swap costs around to fit your point of view.

I'm looking at 1 year of mining. Mining proceeds and sale of equipment minus cost to purchase equipment, electricity, fees = net profit.

Last edited:
Back