• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone using both an EIDE drive and SATA drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, otherwise you have to disable the internet connection in order to connect the two computers. Make sure you have the 3com device driver ready. You may have to download it from the Asus website or use the A7N8X driver CD.

Ok. Hang on and I will enable it and give it a shot. Couldn't get the driver working on it for some reason but I'll give it another go. brb.

Ok. I got it ready. Got the 3com hooked up to the other PC and getting green and orange lights.

Head into "My Network Places"
On the left, click "view network connections"
You should have an icon called "Local area connection" with the 3com device name listed to the right of it.

Right click on it and select "properties"
Double click "Interent Protocol (TCP/IP)"
Select "Use the following IP address:"
For IP address, use "192.168.0.1
For subnet mask, use "255.255.255.0"
You can ignore the other boxes, go ahead and hit "OK"

Do the same thing on the other computer, except for "IP Address" use "192.168.0.2"

Let me know if this works without errors, cause then you are almost home free.

I keep getting "a network cable is unplugged" icon in the lower right corner in the taskbar. I appears and disappears. I got blue and green lights going on both of my ethernet adaptors but they're going on and off every second or so at random.

But I can stick the crossover cable in the Nvidia slot and it won't do it. I'll just get no lights at all. I think I'm gonna have to check out my crossover cable and rearrange the wires. I'll be googling back to the other page that had the instructions. They had a couple of alternative methods for making a crossover cable.

There is a bios setting to select the boot drive. If you didn't change it, it is very likely that the machine is set to boot from the master on the first IDE channel instead of the SATA drive (I've seen this happen). Note that the IDE drive should be jumpered normally. If, to try and stop the machine from booting from it, you set it as a slave when it is by itself, this can cause other difficulties.

Robert

sorry, computer has been down for maintenance. Okay, last you should right-click on "My Computer" and select properties. Goto the "Computer Name" tab and look at the Workgroup name. The workgroup name must be the same for both computers. If they are not, use the change button to rename them.
Restart if necessary.
Now, you should be able to go into "My Computer" on the old system and right-clcik on the hard drive (C:). Select "Sharing and Security"
Clcik the statement saying the you understand the the risks of sharing your hard drive. Then click the checkbox that says "Share this folder on the network" hit OK and you are done.
Now you should be able to browse into you old computer system from your new one through "My network places".

Ok. I've been working almost all night on it. On my main computer that I wanna transfer the data on, I just have the top orange light on and the other, both are on. Both computers say they are connected but I go to properties and both are showing bytes sent but none recieved. When I go to view the workgroup computers, and both are in the same workgroup, it tells me I may not have permission to or something like that. Didn't know it would be so much trouble to transfer from a SATA to ATA. But I really appreciate the help so far.

Have you ever used irc for internet chat? It would be much easier to startup a chat session then to go back and forth on the forums (though it does help get that post count up:) )

Here is the order of wires in a crossover cable that I am using and is known to work.

Looking at the cables as in the pic below, the wires are in this order:

|white-orange,orange,white-green,blue,white-blue,green,white-brown,brown|

|white-green,green,white-orange,blue,white-blue,orange,white-brown,brown|

cables.jpg

Does this make sense?

It's different from the 2 or 3 I've tried so far. Hold on and I'll rearrange them and try it that way.

I tried editing my post but it wouldn't work. But anyways, I couldn't quite understand your post. So the colors above go to the colors below. At first I thought you meant like, white-orange=orange, and white-green=blue, and so on.

Ok. I done it your way, connected the crossover cable to the 3com and my old PC. I got all solid green and orange lights on both but I click on properties and theirs signals sent and none recieved though. Is that normal.

Edit: Ok, I gave them the same IP now and there is some data sent on my other one it showed but on my new PC I got an IP conflict. I'm not too far from just throwing my old PC against the wall:)

I also go to repair it and it said the following parts of the repair failed: flushing the ARP cache or something like that. I don't get that one on the other I don't think. I think I might just be better off tinkering with the Master HD and slave HD thing. Didn't have much luck with it but might have more luck doing it that way the way this has been going so far.

Last edited:
The machines must have unique IP addresses. You want them to be something like 192.168.0.xxx, where x=1,2,3...255
so it may look like
machine#1:192.168.0.5
mahine#2:192.168.0.7
machine#3:192.168.0.25
and so on.
The IP address is a particular machine's identifier on a network, thus no two machines can have the same IPA.
Give that a try and see what happens.

If you do get it working through a network, at least it will be some new knowledge gained. You are learning some of the basic fundementals of networking here.
There are likely some very detailed howto's on networking two computers together or setting up a home network. Just try doing a google search. The hardest part should be making the crossover cable.

I finally got it working. I don't know how exactly but I changed the ip again and shut off all my firewalls to both machines, and messed around with some settings and finally got it. I won't be on the forums anytime soon cuz I got about 40 gigs of data to transfer so I'll be busy doing that. But thanks man, you're a lifesaver. I was about to give up on it. But again thanks for your time and patience cuz that would be alot of cdr's and alot of time I've have to burn and I just have a 4x burner on the old computer.:)

That's awesome :thup:
Now I guess we can put this thread to rest...
I find it kinda strange how no one else bothered to make a single post on this thread. Feel free to show your thanks by sending me some cool hardware :D

Back