• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apparently the 2060 performance benchmarks leaked, and it's on par with a 1080.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-2060-5gb-3dmark-score-allegedly-leaks-its-very-fast/

I know, WCCFTech. I just thought it'd be an interesting discussion.

If this is true, Turing is going to be the budget 1440p generation, all we need now is cheaper monitors. This actually excites me a lot because, now I know to make my next monitor 1440p instead of 1080p. Who wants to place bets on whether or not prices are actually gonna come down, lol...

Something I find interesting is this will be the first generation where 1080p60 at Ultra settings will be covered by the x50 SKU cards...it's been a little over ten years (if I remember correctly) since 1080p was introduced to the gaming scene. Strange how long that took.

it's been a little over ten years (if I remember correctly) since 1080p was introduced to the gaming scene.
I've been gaming on 1080p since the early 2000's... :)

1080p TV's and monitors have been around since that time, give or take. 10 years ago I'd call late to the scene personally.

Well, at least it's not Fudzilla. LOL

I'm more likely to believe this https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-2070-specs-leaked-2304-cores-8gb-gddr6-at-400/ Which means a 2070 will cost me yet again $500. Good thing my 1070 still rips through 1080p @60Hz. :clap:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm gonna try and grab a 2060 before the end of the year, I guess I'll have to just grab my 1440p monitor and see how well she does. Now here's to hoping the 3000 series will bring us high refresh rate 4k in the 3070 :drool:

My 1070 is struggling to push 144hz at 2k, it can only manage about 90-100hz.

Can't wait for BF, gonna build a 1st gen threadripper with a 20XX with cheap ram/ssd prices!

FPS.. HZ... you knew what I meant!

The games I play are not taxing the CPU at all. IIRC my 6700 only goes to 33-40% usage with either 4k at 60hz or 2k at 144hz.

The productivity software I use, however... will take however many CPU cores you throw at it and pin it at 80-100%..

CPU use /= FPS though. TR and first gen ryzen, IIRC, were holding high end cards back since it cant overclock much/reach high clocks. Clearly 4k gaming its on the gpu more so than cpu, but i wonder what the difference would be between a higher clocked intel. A glass ceiling id imagine, but perhaps a tall one.

If you need it for productivity, you do, but it isnt an optimal gaming CPU when paired with higher end gpu and 2k or less. 4k it likely wont matter much amd the difference will vary by title.

Edit: a guru3d review showed a couple % difference at most. Sometimes none at all. ;)

Last edited:
It gets hard to keep up with benchmarks in graphics. I know I get really tired of seeing comments like "XYZ $100 chip is a bad gaming CPU because at 480p with two GTX 1080 Ti cards it got .3% fewer fps than ABC's $2000 flagship". It's too easy to cherry pick and make blanket statements using outliers for proof. I wonder how many people outside of forums like OCF look at the benchmarks for their favorite games and resolutions before buying?

one of those links says 2080ti is coming out tomorrow. better stay up all night refreshing evga.com!

The nvidia gaming event is tomorrow, no guarantee you'll be able to buy anything soon. It's end of day EU time, so early US time I think. Hope I can get home in time to check out the stream live.

i have a feeling it was just clickbait but i'll take a peek anyhow out of curiousity. i don't know if the ray tracing thing will actually matter this gen but it would be cool if they somehow made the tacked on hardware add free performance in current games somehow like free shadows with a patch or something like that. to be clear i know nothing of which i speak.

The nvidia gaming event is tomorrow, no guarantee you'll be able to buy anything soon. It's end of day EU time, so early US time I think. Hope I can get home in time to check out the stream live.
Correct. We are expecting to hear something at gamescon or w/e its called.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see this sort of a leap in hardware performance. One of the tidbits to come out of the initial announcement was this:

The marquee feature, at least for NVIDIA’s ProViz crowd, is on hybrid rendering, which combines ray tracing with traditional rasterization to exploit the strengths of both technologies.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13214/nvidia-reveals-next-gen-turing-gpu-architecture

If this is right, than Nvidia is able to exploit their software and hardware combo with the correct APIs. My guess is that Nvidia will be able to blend a game with Ray Tracing and rasterization allowing for two different parts of the card's hardware to work in unison. Meaning throughput with less time to calculate. Could mean higher speeds, but I doubt that since the pipeline is heavily extended.

I'm very interested to see if these rumors become true.

Ray Tracing isn't going to come until the generation after Turing. Games have to be coded for it, and this is the first generation with the capability. nVidia's basically only putting this on the consumer cards so that game developers will know it's possible for customers to use the feature. We'll probably see the first games in the middle of the 3000 series, if I had to wager a guess.

My guess is that Nvidia will be able to blend a game with Ray Tracing and rasterization allowing for two different parts of the card's hardware to work in unison. Meaning throughput with less time to calculate. Could mean higher speeds, but I doubt that since the pipeline is heavily extended.

I'm not sure if the "new" stuff will do much until explicitly called on. If I'm wrong, great. More performance.

Ray Tracing isn't going to come until the generation after Turing. Games have to be coded for it, and this is the first generation with the capability. nVidia's basically only putting this on the consumer cards so that game developers will know it's possible for customers to use the feature. We'll probably see the first games in the middle of the 3000 series, if I had to wager a guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the big developers would have had hardware in advance, under NDA. That's not to say I'd expect designed-for RTX AAA games any time soon, but something using the new features to some degree might not be that far off.

Frostbite and Unreal Engine should be the first to show off Ray Tracing when these cards come to market.

EA Teased BF V will have RT. Again no one knows how it will be implemented or utilized. We could see that its inherently used with no change of code, or it could be a brand new library to be added to Vulkan and DX12. We do know that those APIs have RT libraries, but we just don't know how everything will be utilized in games.

Back