• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple’s new ‘overpriced’ $10,000 Mac Pro $2K cheaper than DIY Windows PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
fwiw who builds machines with 12 core xeons 64gb of ram and firepro cards lol

lol that was kind of obvious, it was a rhetorical question ... but thats like what <1% of people who use computers?

the reason they can do them so cheap im fairly certain is because they can make a deal with them and be like eyyy il buy x amount of cards for x amount of a discount. with the difference of the price from gaming cards and the lack of much difference besides drivers and support(prolly like 50% of the price), the support would then be given to apple anyways which they can then pass on to their customers because their support is poopy.

Last edited:
lol that was kind of obvious, it was a rhetorical question ... but thats like what <1% of people who use computers?

Its enough that there's a market since Apple isn't the only one who builds machines like this.

I'm pretty sure it can be done cheaper by starting from a rack server. They certainly could have used cheaper video cards (probably some 780s) and ended up cheaper than the Mac.

I'm really skeptical of their thermal solution. How hot does it get with a worst case load?

The "gaming" cards work just fine for general purpose OpenGL and GPGPU. They might not be tuned to work as well but you'll be way ahead (at the cost of less efficiency) by simply making it a triple SLI setup.

I do mostly light bits of CAD/CAM work myself justifying the cost on one of those would be hard in my situation, but I could see maybe corporations or research labs doing it.

I guess Apple has been raping people for profits on IPhones and IPads enough now they've ventured into the high end Workstation area he he.

:comp:

I do mostly light bits of CAD/CAM work myself justifying the cost on one of those would be hard in my situation, but I could see maybe corporations or research labs doing it.

I guess Apple has been raping people for profits on IPhones and IPads enough now they've ventured into the high end Workstation area he he.

:comp:

I know some people getting them for both reasons I mentioned earlier.

Apple has had workstations for a while now, just saying.

Well I'm sure they have, but NM I guess.

Looks like they are just ramping them up maybe, I always knew people loved them for graphics editing.

I tried to build that claimed workstation for cheaper, but it's prices were amazingly accurate O.O. For 10000$, if it includes what it says it does, then its an amazing price. A price I have a hard time believing actually.

What Im guessing, those w9000's are not what they claim. 2 1500$ cards would make infinitely more sense than 2 3500$ cards. That would make the build cost ~7000, not 11000$. IF thats the case, then Mac can go die as far as Im concerned.

I'll reserve judgement until I see official specs lol. IF they are making that exact claimed one for 10k, then my hats off to them actually.

I tried to build that claimed workstation for cheaper, but it's prices were amazingly accurate O.O. For 10000$, if it includes what it says it does, then its an amazing price. A price I have a hard time believing actually.

What Im guessing, those w9000's are not what they claim. 2 1500$ cards would make infinitely more sense than 2 3500$ cards. That would make the build cost ~7000, not 11000$. IF thats the case, then Mac can go die as far as Im concerned.

I'll reserve judgement until I see official specs lol. IF they are making that exact claimed one for 10k, then my hats off to them actually.

I can build a Dell workstation for cheaper, and then I won't have it in a soda can either.

I can build a Dell workstation for cheaper, and then I won't have it in a soda can either.

if it has 2 w9000's in it you're not lol.

the closest dell only has 256gb SSD, only 1 NVIDIA® Quadro® K5000 (1500$), slower ram, hell you cant even add the parts.

Their price? 11459$ lol

When you buy a system like this you are getting tailored drivers for the system configuration that are far more stable than consumer drivers. When a professional buys a system like this he/she expects years of 100% stable operation with zero crashes.

I have a friend who is big into animation and is just graduating the Art Institute of San Francisco. He explained it to me that a single frame depending on the amount of stuff in the frame can take 30-45 minutes to render. Imagine if you were to loose a few frames dew to driver crashes, the amount of money lost could add up extremely fast. He does rigging in Maya and was just lost when he was explaining all the different programs needed to make a animation sequence work.

Anyone know what the Mac cards really are? I can't find anything on them really outside they are the Mac firepro's so it's kind of hard to compare not knowing this. I find it realllllllllly hard to believe you can buy the 6core base Mac pro with the two best firepro's they offer for $4600 when the card they compare DIY with costs $3400 each, I've seen nothing stating the apples card is in fact a renamed w9000 (if it is that's the deal of the century). Especially when you look at what other upgrades cost compared to what you can buy off the shelf for it's hard to believe they are giving these GPU's away.

When you buy a system like this you are getting tailored drivers for the system configuration that are far more stable than consumer drivers. When a professional buys a system like this he/she expects years of 100% stable operation with zero crashes.

I have a friend who is big into animation and is just graduating the Art Institute of San Francisco. He explained it to me that a single frame depending on the amount of stuff in the frame can take 30-45 minutes to render. Imagine if you were to loose a few frames dew to driver crashes, the amount of money lost could add up extremely fast. He does rigging in Maya and was just lost when he was explaining all the different programs needed to make a animation sequence work.

Yeah, trying to justify 780s for a dedicated workstation is just laughable.(no offense to whomever suggested it)

I certainly can't speak for Apple or anyone else here but hats off to them, even if it's possible to come in slightly cheaper from Dell, being competitive on price is a new thing for Apple computers as far as I know.

I wish I could find the article I read the other day that talks about those very things. Why the RAM used in servers is so much more expensive than desktop RAM, same for SSDs etc.

The video cards in this Apple system are proprietary right? So if one of them fries out of warranty -- you're locked into buying another Apple exclusive video card. Ditto for the PSU and case fan (is the fan on top the only cooling fan the entire system has?). I've also read this system has no PCIe slots and no PCI slots and no SATA ports?

Back