• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are all USB cables USB 2.0 compliant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I do believe that the old usb 1 cables will work with usb 2 devices. The cables just pumping out higher frequencies. Tho the device will show the usb 2 markings. :D

EDIT: Actually just read that there is a different cable for usb2. The cable must be usb2 compliant... tho im not exactly sure how u distinguish between em. I think theres a marking on the plug.

I would imagine it would be like using a network cable that barely does 10MBit in a 100MBit network.

Both ends are capable of 100MBit, but the cable will prevent the devices communicating at peak speed.

David

NO. They are not all 2.0 compliant...per my buddy I work with, they will all OPERATE w/2.0, but you won't necessarily get the 2.0 speeds....so yes, its worth your $20. Again, that's per my buddy, also a computer guru, but I'd take his word for it.

Taken from www.buslink.com:

Q: Can I use the USB 1.1 cables in USB 2.0 environment?
Yes. USB 2.0 is backward compatible with USB 1.1 even down to cable and connectors. All cables and connectors in USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 are created equal. You can use the existing certified USB 1.1 cables to enjoy the full benefit of USB 2.0.

Patrick G said:
Taken from www.buslink.com:

Q: Can I use the USB 1.1 cables in USB 2.0 environment?
Yes. USB 2.0 is backward compatible with USB 1.1 even down to cable and connectors. All cables and connectors in USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 are created equal. You can use the existing certified USB 1.1 cables to enjoy the full benefit of USB 2.0.

Oh well..I was wrong "SMACK!!" (work buddy is now in pain) :K

USBIF says Fully compliant Original USB cables will work fine at Hi-Speed USB speeds. USB cables are not all fully Original USB compliant. Goes on some more about testing etc etc.

AntecRep

There were two types of USB 1 cables. 1.0 and 1.1. 1.0 cables will not work with USB 2.0. 1.1 cables will (or should).

Back