• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are there any modern AAA titles that use > 12 GiB VRAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

The only game I've ever seen that used nearly all the VRAM on my 1080ti (11 GiB) was Resident Evil 11 Biohazard.

Do RTX effects or DLSS require even more VRAM?

I was considering upgrading to a 4070ti from my 1080ti after reading Earthdog's review of the MSI 1070ti Suprim (thx Earthdog!)except the VRAM footprint is almost exactly the same as my 1080ti.

If I max out Modern Warfare 2 with everything I can get close to 10g but that's the only one I play that gets close. I went from a 970 to a 3080 10g and the difference was very noticeable. I would think a 1070 to a 3080/4080 would be more reasonable than a 4070Ti.

Better texture compression and some other things caused that since RTX3000, it's not required so much memory. It still can use 8-9GB in some titles, but there are only a few exceptions that can use more. In this case, faster memory is better than more memory, and 12GB is just right for everything.

RTX4080 is large but, in most cases, is very quiet. I guess it's better to change a PC case than decide on a significantly worse graphics card because of the size. I have no idea if prices will change in the upcoming months, as AMD is not really pushing Nvidia.

Back