• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 2400+ on a Volcano 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alpha_gamer

I was wondering about an upgrade I'm going to be getting soon. I'm planning on getting an Athlon 2400+ to replace my Athlon Thunderbird. The problem is that the HSF I have right now is the Volcano 5, and I'm not sure it could handle the new chip's temps very well. What do you guys think?

Cow2kie

I think my old Volcano was a volcano 7.. and I didnt like the performance it gave me w/ my 2400. Buy an slk or something.

OP
alpha_gamer

alpha_gamer

I forgot the CPU would come with a HSF, since you can't find many OEM chips anymore. No worries now! :D

Cow2kie

the one it comes with will do u fine, but its not the greatest if u plan to overclock

Valk

the heatsink that comes with that 2400 is porbably identical to a volcano 5, just the fan is a 60x10 mm instead of 60x25. it will be adequate for stock cooling. if your concerned, pick up a cheap zalman or a coolermaster. also, vantec aeroflow is pretty good and near silent.

everyone says get slk somthing, i would too. but if you dont want to have to think much about it, just get a aero 7 or somthing like that.