• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ati 6970??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Again... "regardless of how many times through the 40nm process already, its yield for that tier of performance may make this true".

lol i am going slightly insane the only thing ive actually opened is the razor mamba (not in the pic), the rest is all unopened, all i need to get is a monitor and the gpu :(

Dude I wouldn't be able to do that. Just buy a $20-30 video card to get things running. After you get everything going return the video card. You might take a 15% restocking fee but 15% on $30 is nothing. Or you could just hold on to the card just for a back up just in case. There is no possible way all that hardware could be sitting around my house and me not doing anything with it.

I love how the article thinks that the HD6970 will be faster than the GTX580 from having 2GB of ram... I find that my HD5970 is rarely bottlenecked by just 1GB, and they mentioned nothing of the bandwidth which will probably be more important.

Given the performance per core per clock of the 68xx gpus, i'd say the 580 is in trouble.

Given the performance per core per clock of the 68xx gpus, i'd say the 580 is in trouble.

I agree completely, if they can get the yields up enough to bring it to market soon.

Nvidia might be in big trouble as well. If the HD 69XX is faster than the GTX 580 I think Nvidia will be playing second fiddle for a long time, much like last year bowing down to the HD 5870. From everything I can tell, the GTX 580 is what the GTX 480 should have been. Meaning, they finally got a GTX 480 done right. The GTX 580 in my opinion isn't a new product, it's a revision of the GTX 480.

If the 69XX beats up the 580...Nvidia is going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Not that I am an Nvidia fanboy or anything, but I have a feeling the 580 will perform better than AMDs offering. Just a feeling.

Have you seen what the benching team has done with the mid level 67XX cards...pretty impressive results given they are the successors to the 5770s. I'm not saying you are wrong, just making conversation.

At stock clocks...I think you might be right, but I suspect the ATi offerings will have a lot more overclocking headroom then the GTX 580.

Not that I am an Nvidia fanboy or anything, but I have a feeling the 580 will perform better than AMDs offering. Just a feeling.

Seems like a small possibility. Look how more efficient the 6870 is than the cards it replaces, it uses 30% less shader processors than the 5870 (1120 vs 1600) and both use the same 5D shader system, but the 6870 is never far behind. Cayman is reported to use a new, more efficient 4D system.

If most rumours are to be believed the 6970 will end up 10% faster than the GTX580.

Yes, but I don't think that it would be able to compete with the dual gpu HD5970. Also it isn't really possible to make a dual 580 gpu card either as it would just produce too much heat in a small area. Nvidia would need to step down to the 460 or possibly an optimised GTX470 which I think would be competitive seeing as the GTX460 in sli can best the GTX480.

GPU names confirmed:

Antilles = 6990 (dual GPU)
Cayman XT = 6970
Cayman Pro = 6950

According to this slide, the 6990 won't be out until Q1 2011, but the 6970/6950 are listed on both Q4 2010 and Q1 2011, whatever that means. Most sites are speculating that Cayman will launch in Q4 but likely not on the Nov 22 release date, based on some rumor that started on some site named TechEye saying that 'taiwanese sources' said AMD had problems with yields, then Fudzilla quickly spreading that rumor to numerous other sites.

Seems either magical or intentional that now out of all times, AMD is having problems with the already refined 40nm process. (someone at TSMC screwed up on 'accident'?)

Two things:

One..I can't believe he paid for win 7 ultimate, that's all i can say about that:bang head

Two: after reading like 4 reviews with the 580 competing against the 5870, the difference in fps is very slim, around 12-20%, which roughly converts to about 4-12 fps better (580), that's a pretty dismal. I was actually surprised and impressed how well the 5870 stacked up, and most people are saying it's what the 480 should have been. The 6970 will most likely be 30% better than the 580, and the 5870s still have a lot more driver optimization to go. Only bad thing is that the 6970 will probably float at $700 for 6-8 months, since ati never has enough supply

EDIT: I'm referring to FPS differences at 2560x1600 max detail, NOT lower 1650xwhatever or 1920x1080, seems like they focused optimizations at lower resolutions, so blaaaaaah

Last edited:
Doubting the 6970 will be that much better (30%) than the GTX580, but it's very possible it'll be slightly to moderately better (+10-20%). Like always, it's going to depend on the game; I won't be surprised if it's around 5%-10% less performance in a few heavily Nvidia-optimized games on release (until drivers catch up).

Cost... I have never seen an ATI card anywhere near $700, except maybe the 5970 on release at some overpriced stores (MSRP was $599 back then, now it's down to $499). Even if the single-GPU 6970 ends up being 30% better than the GTX580, I really doubt they'll overprice it that much. Then there's also the cheaper 6950.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New:

Cayman delay is not due to yields, but due to shortage of a certain component: http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-rad...age-launch-date-to-be-re-confirmed/10276.html

More info from various chinese forums. The 1536 SP version that was previously benched is a crippled/early Cayman GPU, not the 6970 (Cayman XT).. it will either become a 6930 or something for later release, or it will not be released. Someone is leaking info on new cards now which have 1920 SP's with a new tessellation architecture, also saying that AMD is not having problems with the yields and that it should be on time for launch... (I read this earlier but didn't post because I wasn't sure if it's real, now after I saw the above article confirming the yields issue being nonexistent, maybe this has some truth).

Last edited:
"its so new that there is no information on this part on the internet'.... While that may be true, that line just struck me as funny!!!!

Some updates:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1492574&postcount=4779: (Cayman XT and Cayman Pro specs)

http://translate.google.com/transla...kaistaan-viikolla-50?p=1#kommentti-22&act=url (Estimated new release date)

So, they're saying it's delayed til Dec 13 - 19. Well, Nvidia is very happy if that's true.. they get to be #1 not for just two weeks, but over a month!

Based on the Cayman specs and some math people have been doing on various forums (and me subtracting 5-10% from their conclusions to account for release drivers/over-estimations/etc)... it seems like on release, if drivers aren't a total failure, the 6950 will be ~10-15% faster than a GTX580, and the 6970 will be ~25-30% faster.

Or, if I want to be pessimistic, I expect the 6950 to be about equal to a 580, and the 6970 to be moderately better.

Seeing is believing... I will wait for that :p I am doubting that it will be any faster than the GTX580 but here's hoping :D

I would bet pretty much anything that at least the 6970 will be faster. With those specs, AMD really has to screw something up so badly that it'd be labeled as the "GPU f*** up world record", in order for it to lose. Why would they even release a slower card anyway.

thanks for the replies guys, im tempted just to buy the gtx580 !!! but heres hoping the 6970 will be the better card ...so worth the wait possibly

Back