• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battle of the Titans! ATI and Nvidia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Magnus

This is an artical at the infamous Toms Hardware... I thought it was interesting that the speed of putting out the next best thing almost resorted to violents between these giants!... from my own thoughts, i am trying to see why these money hungry cash cows have gone beyond acctually advancing in technology and just through down the gloves! i know cards are getting better. i also wonder why a general audience with the true hardware knowledge of 'babys' can put so much faith into benchmarks as a determining factor. i know a couple of years ago, i was in the stream of buying cards because of bench mark results. i guess from experience i learned that 2 fps difference really doesnt matter when you get a game you like and it runs half *** cuase of drivers alone. honestly ati and nvidia are trying to win over the public with cheap tricks knowing that the 'babys' will listen to futuremark scores. i believe though in the near future nvidia will dominate all. the simple fact that they completely screwed a card series to get into .13 mn tells me they are on to something. meanwhile ati will have to deal with similar situations. maybe not so clumbsly as nvidia but in any case, ati's cards ARE very different. maybe im just having alot of wishfull thinking, what do you guys think. i do really like nvidia and intel together. im trading in my amd/ati to give intel/nvidia a shot again.

Do a searh in the vid card section and you will find the answer to all of your dusty questions and speculation.

ps to answer one of your questions, ATI has a .13 core.

i think you are mistakin... im almost 100% sure that ati 9700pro and 9800pro are only .15mn.. hence my argument...

minoukat said:
9700 PRO is .15, 9800 Pro is .13 (the newer models, 9800, 9600, possibly 9200, are built on .13)

The 9800Pro is still using the .15 process. They use a better arcitecture and they are also getting better yields then Nvidia is getting with .13.

Because of the hasty move to .13 Nvidia is a entire product cycle behind Ati. With the R360 due out in September and the R420 on the horizon It is going to take a major product redesign for Nvidia to retake the lead.

The 9800 Pro is fabricated under a .15 micron process. There's speculation that the fabled 9900 series will be manufactured under a .13 um process, but currently the only ATI core that is is the RV350, found in the 9600 series.

Look, we don't even know anything but very generalized features about the nv40 and r420, so why say that ATi has a "better" core architecture and that that will beat nvidia? I think .13 vs .13 in the high-end will be extremely competitive in the long run for both companies.

cV said:
Look, we don't even know anything but very generalized features about the nv40 and r420, so why say that ATi has a "better" core architecture and that that will beat nvidia? I think .13 vs .13 in the high-end will be extremely competitive in the long run for both companies.

What I meant is currently the Ati GPU is more efficient then Nvidia clock for clock. Look at the gpu/mem clock on the 5900ultra compared to the 9800pro. If you run a Ati at 450/425 the 5900ultra would look really sad.
It will be interesting to see what the next generation of cards can do. The competition between Nvidia and Ati in the end benefits the consumer with better prices and enhanced performance.

madcow235 said:
you cant compare gfx cards clock for clock like you can cpus because they do so many things different in those clocks.

They may process the information in a different manner but the end result is the same. All GPU designs try to achieve the best possible IQ with the highest FPS. I am simply stating that the current ATI design is superior. Nvidia needs high clock rates to stay with the 9800pro. That may change with the next generation of gpu's.

i personally prefer the geforce 4 ti's over the radeons, only because my friend has a radeon 9000 and it sucked

Ok, that's like saying a 1Ghz Celeron will perorm the same as a 1Ghz P3 1000E, or an 1Ghz Duron will perform the same as a 1Ghz Athlon. But, that simply isn't true. There's a lot more to it than just clock speed and µ size.

BioNiKaL said:
i personally prefer the geforce 4 ti's over the radeons, only because my friend has a radeon 9000 and it sucked

There are so many things wrong with that statment.

wow, that was very good. Just finished reading it. time for bed thnx for the story time session :)

Looks like we're going to turn this into another one of THOSE threads. The above statement about the TI outperforming the 9000 is correct. Why is that so wrong? However not ALL radeons lose out to a TI and for that matter which model TI? My .02

Back