• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best upgrade option?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackersabbath

Hi everyone,

My current rig is in my signature. I am looking to upgrade but unsure of where to go with it. I think I can use the CPU on the AM2+ boards with my DDR2 RAM but unsure. I am planning on getting a new case in the next week or so then getting a new PSU the following week. I want to game and do some video editing in the near future. I am pretty much wondering what would be the best way to go since I am going to be uprgrading slowly. I can't afford to buy everything at once but would like to still use my PC while upgrading the components and making sure that they all work. I have been looking into this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387 which seems to support my current CPU. I would like to get a quad core for it as the money comes in but would also like some different options as far as the board goes because I might not have the funds to get a graphics card right away. A single graphics card setup would be ok but I want to try out a multiple card setup as well. I am open to opinions/recommendations.

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice

My question is: What would be a good solid ATX board that I can run a 3800 on with onboard graphics that I can later put an AM3 quadcore in later on and supports either SLI or Crossfire?

Probably the best upgrade path is the cpu. Upgrade to one of the AM3 ones that are backwards compatible with AM2+ boards usually with a simple bios update.

I recommend the phenom II 550 or 720. You will see great increases in your computer speed for about 100-120 bucks.

Once you get the other items set in place (CPU and GPU, etc) i'd definitely look at a harddrive upgrade if youre looking into video editing.
Not sure how crazy you want to get with it...I'd say something along the lines of a 640 WD Black they are fast and pretty decently priced.
Otherwise SSD might work if you wanted to go that route.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have to get a new motherboard before a CPU. My motherboard is an AM2. Does anyone have a recommendation for a solid AM2+/AM3 board that supports DDR2 and has onboard graphics? I would like to go crossfire or SLI eventually and would like to spend around 100 bucks (give or take 10-20 bucks)

Back