• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar A880GU3 & AMD Phenom II x4 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m3d6y82

Registered
Hi,

I am trying to overclock my Phenom II x4 965. Should be simple, right?
I have the Black Edition (BE), and I am content playing with multipliers, rather than attempting to play with FSB speeds, RAM, etc.

So, I go into my BIOS and set my multiplier to x18 or x19 and the CPU VID to 1.425 to 1.45, but my computer won't boot and I have to reset my CMOS.

I have SmartFan and C1E disabled.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Set Vcore to 1.45 and try 0.5 multiplier increments upward one at a time from the default cpu multiplier. That will be more likely to point to possible problem.

Thanks RGone,

I am able to do one increment of 0.5 and have it working.
However, I cannot seem to get anything beyond that to work.
Is is likely that I have reached the max OC potential of my machine?
Or is it time to start playing with the FSB / RAM / NB?

I am under the impression that playing with those is more of a fine tuning. Can I expect to get much increase out of it?

This is my rig:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for being a such a noob :eek:

EDIT:
Seems to be stable with torture test using Prime 95
Also, when I say "max OC potential" I mean within reasonably safe bounds. I have no intention or desire to come close to buying a new mobo or CPU

Last edited:
To see where things lie.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Thanks for letting me know what the next steps are.

I will have to find time to do this before Thanksgiving, so it'll probably be couple weeks.

Again, your response is much appreciated!

Attachments

• 5 min cpu tab.png
    5 min cpu tab.png
    222.1 KB · Views: 599
  • 5 min mem tab.png
    5 min mem tab.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 600
  • 5 min spd tab.png
    5 min spd tab.png
    219.5 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
Your core temps are probably at the cusp of the unstable range. We generally say max stable core temps for that family of CPUs is mid 50s c but sometimes they will go a little higher. Unsafe temps are higher still.

Okay, please put your system info in a "Sig" so we can see what you're working with instead of using those links in your early posting. Want to know stuff like what CPU cooler are your using, what case and how many case fans, how big are the fans, how are they oriented in the case as far as intake/exhaust, make and model of PSU, make, model and speed of ram, video card, make and model of motherboard, OS.

Are you using a bios overclocking wizard or software to overclock? I'm wondering why your HT Link and your NB frequencies are below stock? Are you using the FSB to overclock? You have a black edition CPU and there is not reason to use the FSB to overclock. You should be using the core multiplier. Much simpler.

If you are using a big aftermarket cooler you shouldn't be getting those temps at that

RGone said >> Set Vcore to 1.45 and try 0.5 multiplier increments upward one at a time from the default cpu multiplier. That will be more likely to point to possible problem.

m3d6y82 said >> I am able to do one increment of 0.5 and have it working.
However, I cannot seem to get anything beyond that to work.

Okay, please put your system info in a "Sig" so we can see what you're working with instead of using those links in your early posting. Want to know stuff like what CPU cooler are your using, what case and how many case fans, how big are the fans, how are they oriented in the case as far as intake/exhaust, make and model of PSU, make, model and speed of ram, video card, make and model of motherboard, OS.

Are you using a bios overclocking wizard or software to overclock? I'm wondering why your HT Link and your NB frequencies are below stock? Are you using the FSB to overclock? You have a black edition CPU and there is not reason to use the FSB to overclock. You should be using the core multiplier. Much simpler.

If you are using a big aftermarket cooler you shouldn't be getting those temps at that

I believe the case has 2 generic 120 mm case fans. The fans are oriented in a front to back, low to high air flow orientation. Let me know if you need more details or a pic. OS = Windows 7

I am in my bios using the multiplier to OC. Oh I realized that my CPU-z was captured after I reset my bios and had enabled smart fan to quiet mode. I ran prime 95 again and it dropped me to around 48 C, but I didn't have a chance to let it run the full 1/2 hour.

I'll post those pics when I get a chance.

Thanks!

Updated screenshots after 40 min of Prime95 (not using quiet fan mode now)

Attachments

• cpu.png
    cpu.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 582
  • mem.png
    mem.png
    188.6 KB · Views: 567
  • spd.png
    spd.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 587
You have probably between 5 and 10c of core temp headroom to continue with the overclock, i.e., increasing CPU frequency and voltage. Your CPU socket temp is running quite cool so that shouldn't be a problem.

My 965 ran 24/7 for the last year at 3.8 with the only tweak being the multiplier, temps remained at 50-52C using an H60. You could probably expect the same from your 212 HS.

My 965 ran 24/7 for the last year at 3.8 with the only tweak being the multiplier, temps remained at 50-52C using an H60. You could probably expect the same from your 212 HS.

So, I am running into problems when I make the multiplier higher than 17.5. The computer flat out doesn't start (can't even get into Bios at that point) so I have to reset the CMOS. What am I doing wrong?

Also, someone mentioned that based on the pics I posted,

TRENTS said:
I'm wondering why your HT Link and your NB frequencies are below stock?

Is this something I can / should address?

I suspect you may be at the end of the road overclocking wise because of your motherboard. It is an inexpensive board that is rated for 125W TDP (Total Design Power) CPUs and it will handle those fine at stock speeds and voltages but when you begin to overclock a 125W CPU you drive up the watts and exceed the 125W TDP the board was designed for. The board has no heat sinks on the power phase components and is probably a 4+1 power phase board as opposed to 8+2 as would be found on more expensive boards in the $135+ range.

Having said that, you might as well try increasing the CPU voltage one more notch as your temps would seem to allow for it.

Last edited:
I suspect you may be at the end of the road overclocking wise because of your motherboard.

Thanks Trents, that having been said, is TPD the single determining factor for OC on a motherboard. What should I look at when buying (in terms of OC capability)?

TDP that is at least equal to the TDP of your processor at stock speed. Raising the cpu speed and increasing the voltage to the cpu to do so will 'naturally' raise the TDP of the processor. So you need to start with TDP rating of the board equal to the default speed of the processor.

Then the more phases of power regulation that are on the motherboard LEAN more towards better ability to overclock the processor since there are enough phases to withstand the rigors of supplying voltage to the overclocked and OVERvolted processor.
6+2 Phases is a pretty good place to start for a minimum of phases of power regulation. 8+1 or 8+2 power phases is better still.

Heat sinks on the VRM circuitry is about a must for a board that is intended for overclocking.

Those are the "power-related" things I check out first. I then will go over to HWBot and look up what boards are used the most when users are posting for certain cpus that I am interested in using myself. I look at the speed attained with the cpu I intend to get and what was basically used for cooling. Then I decide on the board that is used a LOT and the CPU I intend to use and then I begin to g00gle that mobo and pieces to see what REAL users are getting for results with that board I am considering and make my decisions from the information I discover. This way I usually do n0t have to re-invent the wheel by buying a motherboard not already n0ted to be a good overclocker.

Back