• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bongs at below ambient...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caravan

Registered
Are we gonna have to use condensation protection here? Is it possible that the waterblock will be cool enough for vapor to condense on it?

Many people have been measuring their "bong water" at below ambient. Not much, but definately below. Just wondering if anyone has noticed any condensation from it.

TT120 (Apr 30, 2001 07:53 a.m.):
No, with any kind of watercooling alone, you'll never get below ambient temp so condensation will not form.

ACTUALLY, you CAN go below ambient temps with evaporation. When the water evaporates, it is losing energy to the air (duh) and hence it becomes cooler than the air it lost the energy to. Water cooling towers in power plants, etc. work in this fashion, and they evaporate alot of water from a massive surface area being exposed to the air. Simplified I know, water thermodynamics are much more complicated in real life, but still, lower than ambient is and does happen.

therapture (Apr 30, 2001 10:25 a.m.):
TT120 (Apr 30, 2001 07:53 a.m.):
No, with any kind of watercooling alone, you'll never get below ambient temp so condensation will not form.

ACTUALLY, you CAN go below ambient temps with evaporation. When the water evaporates, it is losing energy to the air (duh) and hence it becomes cooler than the air it lost the energy to. Water cooling towers in power plants, etc. work in this fashion, and they evaporate alot of water from a massive surface area being exposed to the air. Simplified I know, water thermodynamics are much more complicated in real life, but still, lower than ambient is and does happen.
Really? I stand corrected. I didnt think that could happen. Will it get far enough below ambient to cause condensation?

It will go a little lower than ambient, but not alot with this small type of cooler. I am building mine this week, and will let you know what I find out.
As far as condensation, there should be no worries, you would be lucky I would think to get more than 4 or 5 degrees under ambient.

Of course this is assuming no peltiers, I have no experience with those at all....

The temperatures that are relevant are dry bulb, wet bulb and dew point. Evap coolers can produce temperatures below dry bulb easily, and frequently to wet bulb, some Indirect/direct combinations will produce below wet bulb and approaching dew point. You need to achieve dew point temps or below to produce condensation, so evap coolers are quite safe in this respect.

actually TT120 is right. You'll never see ambient temps that are higher than water temps anywhere near the cpu. By the time the water leaves the res and hits the "hoses" and makes its way to the processor......it's already above ambient temp. by time it leaves it'll be well above ambient temp.

yea the res MAY be below ambient temp.....but with a degree or 2, you won't see condensation.

Back