• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brolloks Xeon vs 920 D0 comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
We all have seen some serious OC's on the new D0 revision of the i7-920 mainline CPU.

I'm going to compare the 920 to the Xeon W3520 to see if the Xeon comes with something extra. Awaiting the Xeon to arrive.

In the meantime I will post my collection of 920 runs to set up a reference line.

Edit - People who have Xeon W3520's or any i7 Xeon's for that matter please feel free to post results here, no exclusivity, just fun :)

I hear the xeon doesnt have some ram dividers and uncore multi's that the 920 has. Was wondering if its cpu side or mobo or bios side.

I hear the xeon doesnt have some ram dividers and uncore multi's that the 920 has. Was wondering if its cpu side or mobo or bios side.

All the talk about Xeons being locked down is due to premature BIOS support for them, and namely its with Asus boards.

My Xeon W3570 has the same multis on qpi, uncore and RAM, no difference.

@ Badbonji, same socket as other i7's, LGA 1366

OK, as reference, this is how far I've gotten the 1st 920 D0, still lots of headroom as you can see the voltage is still pretty low...relatively that is. Results are all on air with a TRUE and two fans. ambient 25 C

Attachments

• D04.gif
    D04.gif
    165.9 KB · Views: 729
  • D0-1.gif
    D0-1.gif
    161.3 KB · Views: 742
  • D0 2.jpg
    D0 2.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 736
  • D0 3.gif
    D0 3.gif
    172.8 KB · Views: 737
OK, as reference, this is how far I've gotten the 1st 920 D0, still lots of headroom as you can see the voltage is still pretty low...relatively that is. Results are all on air with a TRUE and two fans. ambient 25 C

Not bad, but on the Super PI 8M seems a bit slow. With a 940 at 4.3Ghz and 1400Mhz DDR3 I got around 1:49 and someone with a 940 ~ 4.5Ghz at Gigabyte GOOC (air cooling btw) managed a 1:35 or something.
Is this similar to when the E0 8400 was outperformed by the D0 or w/e before that at same clock speeds? Might want to check that out.

i finally found out why i was being held up @ around 204 bclck.

booted real quick @ 210 this morning before work. tonight i'm going to try and play around with it a little more.

why were you being held up chin?

We have too many threads going… :p

I was always trying to run my ram at or above it’s rated 1000MHz – uncore was always over 4GHz – my chip/board could do it, but only up to like 204 bclck – and to do it there was taking some ridicules qpi voltage (1.5+).

Before I left for work, I tried to clock the ram around 800MHz (3200 uncore) I literally just set 1.3v QPI – 1.3vcore and 21x210 (turbo off, HT-on) – fired right up.

So I’m hoping I was pushing my ram/uncore too high and retarding the frequency a little bit is going to give me higher bclck.

Chin, that is where some people go wrong, uncore speeds are tough to stabilize when you also have high base clocks. Run it low while you maximise bclks.

@Badbonji, I was doing all sorts of other stuff while superpi was running, hence the slow time.

Back