This build log will highlight the steps taken to build my RAID5 NAS Media Server. There was a discussion thread located here if you'd like to read more about how this came about. The components for this build will comprise of old and new parts since the server side does not need the most modern pieces to function well.
First I would like to introduce the Case that will be used for this build. This is an old Apevia case. It has served me very well over the years but is due for some modernizing. She's showing her age with the old AMD Athlon 64 X2 Sticker there. That is NOT the CPU that will be going into this build LOL.
The temperature gauge and front USB/Firewire ports no longer work. The Gauge needed some re-soldering on the Molex connector and the USB/Firewire required a complete gutting. I'll be replacing the Firewire port with a USB3.0 port. This will provide enough front ports for a keyboard, mouse, and external USB3.0 Drive (Flash or SSD).
Another aspect that must be addressed for this case to work is airflow. Let's be realistic, 2x 80mm front fans just isn't going to cut it for a semi-modern rig. So to remedy this I needed to open her up to fit a 140mm Phanteks fan. After marking out the 140mm fan layout I used a punch to mark the hole locations and to keep the drill from walking away from where I want it. I then clamped a small block of wood under the steel to make a cleaner hole. I used a 13/64" drill bit.
Next up is the Dremel, my favorite for these types of jobs.
Much, much better. In addition I've Dremeled out the front panel openings to maximize the intake.
Finally I've stripped all the panels down and sanded all the painted panels with rough sandpaper to prep for paint. That completes today's update and the introduction to NASgul! Stay tuned for paint and fitment.
Re-edit: Had to update this again and re-attach all the images, at least the ones I still have.