• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new Laptop and need to know about Thunderbolt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

The new laptop which at this moment I have no idea which laptop it will be but I know it will be top of the line and have Thunderbolt. Not sure in my desktop if I have space for a Thunderbolt PCI slot but would like to be able to connect my desktop to my laptop for fast transfers. I'd appreciate any suggestions that will give me an idea which direction is best for me.

The bottom PCIe (not pci) slot on that board is a 4.0 x4 slot. If you insist on TB to TB connection between them, thats where you'd put the TB card.

That said, TB cards aren't cheap. You'd better be sure you NEED that fast of transfers if you're going to dump another ~$90+ into your machine. What are you transferring between devices so often you want/need it that fast?

Worth noting, your mobo has a 20 gbps type-c port (rear io) already and is quite fast...

If it were me, I'd see if TB (or even 20Gbps) to 20Gbps Type-c is fast enough for your purposes before spending the coin on a TB AIC for your PC. ;)

I use TB, but I also have an external m.2 drives that can use the bandwidth...'problem' is, the enclosure is 20 gbps. I'm not transferring movies or games (huge files) across the pipe, so its plenty fast.

Last edited:
That makes sense Dog, The new laptop I am getting has USB-C so that should be fast enough to transfer anything I want to move over to my laptop. The one I am buying comes out in April so I have plenty of time to read more about it..

Thank you as always for your reply, my brain would hurt if I knew as much as you :)

Remember, USB type-c has multiple speeds... be sure it's 20 gbps (USB 3.2 gen 2x2). I wouldnt worry too much about TB.

Back