• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can You beat this hardware setup @ this price?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At the OP...

This is how I would do your setup... In fact; this is how I did my very first "home built" computer right after I joined this nice site..

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H --> It does have core unlocker capabilities, so provided the cpu you get is unlockable this board will do it. - $89.99

CPU: AMD 555BE -> I have this chip as well; it is a decent little chip and for that price you can't fault it for anything. If you MUST be within a budget this low this is the way to go. If you have a few bucks to spare, I suggest you at least try to get a Phenom II X4. - $89.99

Ram: Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 1600MHz CL 9 --> I have this particular ram on one of my computers and it runs smoothly at 1600 MHz CL8 so you can get a bit better performance out of it for cheap. - $49.99

PSU: Corsair CX500 --> I run a 955BE and a HD6950 on a Corsair VX450 without any problems. The CX series is the replacement of the VX series which was discontinued, but it seems as though they are not as efficient as the VX units. Still; the 500W unit will be more than enough to power your computer even if you do decide to add a graphics card to it in the near future. - $39.99 after rebate.

I think I barely beat your build by like $20, but every little bit helps.

Hope this helps,
Sebastian

:rofl:

Pfffttt.... Atari 130XE and Commodore 64 is what I got my first lines of code into... That's old.

:p

OP there's a Propus core Phenom II X4 for $89. It's not actually a Phenom II core it's an Athlon II core but it's a 4 core. Worth considering alongside the 555BE. It exists :). Worth the money. Obviously would not be better (and likely a fair bit worse) than an unlocked 555

Back