• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant overclock since installing Dual Channel DDR!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steveio101

Registered
Cant overclock since installing Dual Channel DDR!

Machine Spec

Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 mobo
AMD Althon 64 3000+ Venice Core (a real shame to not be overclocking this now!)
1 GB DDR PC3200 • 2-2-2-6 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.8V • 64Meg x 64 - Running in dual channel mode
ATI Radeon 9600 266MB core:527mhz memory:297mhz
Onboard 8 channel sound with Spdif output
SAMSUNG_SP1614N 160gb 7500rpm HDD
Liton Dual Layer DVD+-R
Aopen 52x CDRW
300w PSU
Samsung 73v 17" TFT

Basicly until recently i was running the above spec but with 1 basic 512mb pc3200 chip and one 256mb pc3200, both unknow origin definatly not matched! however even with such rubbish memory i was abole to overclock the stock 200mhz HTT speed up to 240mhz with absolutly no issues.

Since fitting the new memory i cant overclock at all without an unbootable system!

anyideas?

im thinking the 300w PSU isn't man enough for the job maybe!

:welcome: TO THE FORUMS

Try rasing your Vdimm and relax the timings, but yes 300W is not sufficent enough for that system.

What are the rail readings?

Rail readings acoring to Speedfan are:

+3.3v = 3.14v
+5v = 3.44v
+12v = 12.22v
-12v = -6.19v
-5v = -3.08v

crap and they are all fuctuating by + or - at least a volt!!!

Gigabytes are notorious for reading low on voltages. Every one I owned read low.

I used a DDM on my board and it shows good. The sensors gives me on my 5v line 2v readings. I know my drives would not even spin if it was really that low. 12v is not so bad. Sometimes it acts wierd though.

The temp sensors are much better on a Gigabyte. I had good luck comparing against a probe. Actually they tend to read on the low side actually.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Right, borrowed a 650w psu from a friend! aslo tried relaxing the spd timings to 2.5-3-3-8
with no luck

also tried putting the dimms into un paired slots to force it into runiing them single channle, but still i cant get the HTT speed past 209mhz without freezing!

Could you post your bios settings for us? It might help and I have a feeling something got reset to make it unstable.

Do you have a digital camera to take a picture or write it down.
We don't need the whole thing just the cpu and memory related section.

ok good idea

b8.jpg

b9.jpg

This first thing for your OC is to
use dividers to test the new memory
lower ht x 4 until 250 fsb then to x3 for #> 250
set everything to manual
you need to find the cool n queit function and disable it
there are secret otptions I forgot, hit shift+F1, then alt+F2
if NV/ati speed up is enabled diasble it.
figure out the votlages you need

Edit
I just realized this a nofrce 3 board
make sure the memory is in slots 1+2
this can really effect the overclock

Last edited:
yup nforce3!

cant find any secert options in the bios! also there are no cool n quiet controls and no NV/ati speed up

i have downloaded gigabyte tune easy 5 to play about with clock settings within windows

best results so far have been
HT x 4
215hmz
2.6v

On a Gigabyte hit Ctrl+F1 while in BIOS. Then the secret options majically appear. :thup:

Back