• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipped Core...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyTheRed

Can even the slightest chip in the core kill a chip? I got a mobo and cpu shipped. The HSF was attached when shipped, but came undone in transit. Some of the caps near the socket are bent, they don't look too bad. But one maybe even two corners of the core look slightly chipped.

I don't have any AMD parts to check whether it's the board or the cpu that's causing the system not to boot. So if you had to guess, would you think it's the core or the mobo?

I imagine it's more likely to be the cpu, in which case I'll pick up a cpu first to check if the mobo still works.

Yes, a small chip can kill a cpu or effect its overclockabilty. I'm not sure what you call small but if it's very tiny i doubt it's that. Why would they ship it with a hfs on? Really, if it was jolted hard enough to knock off a hsf anything could be dead, espeacially with the heatsink loosely flying around and hitting the mobo after that.

Well it only slid around the area immediately around the socket. The deal ended up fine, and I got to keep these parts. So I figured I'd try and see if one or the other still worked. You think if I post some pics you guys could have a better guess as to what you think would be the broken one?

I think it more than likely is the cpu. two of my friends killed cpus by using conductive heatsink on a chipped core.It was a tiny chip in the corner. What i understand u need to use nonconductive heatsink compound when the core is chipped. correct me if i am wrong but i have seen this happen twice and have read about it.

There is always a possibility of the slightest chip killing the core, most of the time it will live and go through alot. Might be the mobo. Heatsinks are fairly heavy and if that thing comes off and starts chipping away at your mobo, it could have hit it pretty hard.

Yeah, you just have to test really. The slightest chip could kill an XP or you could get a way bigger chip and it still be fine...

does a tiny chip on the side of a core disqualify it's warranty ?? .... it was perfectly fine when i sold it .... but my friend burnt it .... will AMD RMA it

Back