• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset cooling suggestion from original setup...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@crilicM@n

Add thermal paste to that litle greenie and... I saw a 40mm (heatsink size + -)by 28mm tall 0,18 amp !!!! At Newegg! Perfect size and much more powerfull than those 0,8mm tall x 40mm commons...! Perfect!!!! I mean, almost.... they don´t ship international...

I put Arctic Silver under my northbridge HSF and I've tried custom HSFs before. They've yielded a little bit of an additional FSB overclock.

Hmmm good to hear..... I´ve just studied a infrared photo of my motherboard hot points and found that the chipset itself is not very hot, but are other points muuuuch hotter, like the clock generator...!

exactly

donny_paycheck said:
It's a small chip. You could use some small chip heatsinks on it that you can get at www.1coolpc.com and attach them with arctic alumina adhesive

Hey how did you know exacly what I was going to do? At this time my ASIII an AS alumina adhesive are traveling from USA to Brazil he he... I already found heatsink for it, just will cut a bit becouse the chip itself is too delicate, if you make something to much large or tall, it can "pop off" your chip in an accident... So I´ll put a litle heatsink and directionate a 60mm fan to trough an acrilic bracket extension modded just for it....

Unfortunately I don´t have the IRed Cam.. But the Photo is here: http://www.killroyishere.com/cusl2.htm (wouldn´t fit in the forum board)

I wish you the same luck searching for a phot of your boards too, but i don´t think is something easy to find... :(

Here is the transcription of my mobo hottest poits.. I compressed it becouse we cannot post files bigger than 300x300... I picked the my mobo photo and circled the hot points in red... Maaan i Have a furious overclocking project in my mind he he :burn:

PS the photo became horrible compressed... If someone want to see the hot spots in the real decent photo ask me and i´ll send by e-mail Ok!?

@crilicM@n said:
Hmmm good to hear..... I´ve just studied a infrared photo of my motherboard hot points and found that the chipset itself is not very hot, but are other points muuuuch hotter, like the clock generator...!

awesome, i've been wanting to cool some more stuff in my system, starting with the vid card. it's very interesting to see what gets hot and what doesn't. thanx for the clue!

There´s another way of finding those places.... A cheap but still efficient... THE FINGER he he But don´t do a short cut in touching the wrong thing... but usually the chips can be touched without problems....

Back