• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clawhammer or Newcastle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can compare an 3200+ AR and a 3000+ AX if you want, but I would have to wait for yet another RMA on my memory from newegg...IDK if you're willing to wait that long.

Here is a test how much the 512KB cache counts, as you see the benefits are around less than 1% I know that is not a newcastle but I did not see much difference between a NW a CW with 512KB cache in terms of performance.
I check the OC thread and seems Newcastles OC better than claws, I can use mine on 2450. The difference between 2450 and 2400 is bigger in my case than what I benefit from the +512 cache so if could gain just 50 mhz oc my rig is faster than the CW.

There is no single YES or NO choice between 754 NC and CH, otherwise such question would not keep coming up, ....

The final choice is up to individual call, and depends on a few factors. Assuming in the context of cost-effective system:

There is no clear evidence, beyond the underlying randomness, from the sketchy results, that NC can be overclocked 150 MHz higher than CH consistently, to overcome the bigger L2 of CH, from the result collection.
A64 Overclocking Result Collection (2nd post)

NC is easier to get, whereas CG CH w/ 1 MB L2 is harder to find, except for mobile/mobile DTR CH.

The NC 3000+ is $30-50 cheaper than a 3200+ CG CH w/ 1 MB L2. They both have the x10 CPU multiplier which is considered more flexible in setting up a system than a 2800+ NC (with x9) in terms of HTT and memory bus. x9 is still doable for overclocking, if saving money is a high priority.

Further, if one wants to go with NC 3000+ (w/ 512 KB L2), then I think a 90 nm 939 Winchester 3200+ which also has 512 KB L2 is a better choice for its new revision, higher memory bandwidth (for memory intensive applications), future 939 upgrade flexibility, ....

IMO, this is my preference:

1. 90 nm 939 Winchester 3200+ w/ 512 KB L2
2. 130 nm 754 ClawHammer 3200+ w/ 1 MB L2
3. 130 nm 754 NewCastle 3000+ w/ 512 KB L2 ($30-50 cheaper for CPU)

Performance analysis of various A64 systems (including Barton, P4's) (post 7)

Last edited:
Anyway i am sure you get most bang for your buck buying an 2800+ or 3000+ as those are easily found in the 2.4-26ghz range. And even without insane vcore or cooling, check results from other people with the stock amd heatsink which is a very cheap full aluminium cooling solution (but anyway ok because the Newcastle CGs are not demanding when oced). 1mb L2 won't get you into the stars because L1 is the most important cache part and benchmarks show that even the amd rating of comparing 512kb l2 with 200mhz is bull****. Speaking of the A64 3400+ Newcastle (2.4ghz) and the 3400+ Clawhammer (2.2ghz). The 200mhz faster Newcastle will perform better almost always. Anyway, if you can reach 2.45 or 2.5 with a claw thats a very good score and you have a very good rig on your hand. But its harde to get a CH doing 2.5, at least with normal air cooling. Besides. the larger cache means more complexity on the die, means more transistors, means more heat and a decent overclock will be more difficult compared to an simpler (lesser transistor count) die.

is this based on your tests Kuroimaho

im in the same boat, gaming thus mhz is king still.

Back