• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compability issues, $2500 build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fiveleaf

Registered
I've finally picked the parts.
The shop is waiting for the green light.
I know that these prices are more than if I went elsewhere. That's fine with me. Just let me know if you think anything on this list is outrageously so.

And my biggest question... will this GPU work with all three of these monitors, in a landscape design, without issue?

Power cord-CBT-SP-PC $1.99

Monitor-MT-AS-VH242H $229.99 x2 (+1 that I already have)

Keyboard-Logitech G110 $99.99

Mouse-Logitech MX518 $69.99

Cooler Master V10 CPU Cooler $129.99

Optical Drive-CH10L520.AVBR10B $94.99

Motherboard-Asus Rampage III Extreme $429.99

Operating System-Microsoft Windows 7 Professional $329.99
REJECTED, will take build PC without an OS. Will be Win 7 64bit. Just not for $330.

Power Supply-CMPSU-850TX $159.99
This is enough... right?

Tower-Cooler Master HAF932 KKN1GP $$159.99

Memory-TR3X6G1600C8 6GB $209.99

Processor-Intel Core i7-950 $349.99

SSD-SSDSA2MH080G2K5-9091 $279.99
Intel SSD (80gb? for boot times, probably OS and maybe an FPS game).

HD-WD1002FAEX 1TB $109.99

Video Card-Asus EAH5850 $379.99

After OS adjustment:
My price: $2,699.99

Also... this is my first build. The computer stores didn't have anything fast enough. Gaming computers do not look professional.

Is there anything else I will need?

My thoughts:

That PSU is more then enough, a 650 would do you just fine and cost a lot less.

The V10 cooler is an overpriced piece that doesn't actually cool very well. Get a Megahalems or the Noctra 14 thing. They cost less and cool much more efficiently.

The power supply will come with a power cord.

If you don't plan on overclocking the hell out of the cpu, i would get a less expensive mobo. Something like a gigabyte x58-ud3r will do you just fine if you aren't planning on benching or running subzero cooling. The R3E is a fantastic motherboard, but it's rather excessive for normal use.

Microcenter has the i7 950 for $250.

I recommend checking prices against newegg, as well.

A couple of things I see..

1. Unless you plan on overclocking with extreme cooling methods, you dont need a $429 motherboard. That thing is made for Dry Ice/LN2.
2. For your SSD, I would get a Vertex 2 instead of the Intel.
3. As far as gaming on all 3 monitors, I would get a 5870 instead. More horsepower.
4. PSU comes with power cord...
5. Cooler is MEH. Noctua DH14 is the best really.

A lot of the items you have listed are way over priced for your needs. Mobo, ram, cooler.

You're building a gaming PC, all you really need is a good cpu and GPU. The rest of the system could be (almost) junk and you probably won't notice too much of a difference.

For GPUs nvidia is best bang for buck atm so get some cheaper ram, mobo and cooler and get a 480 or 2x 460 ect.

I don't know enough about the SSD brands but you'll want a sandforce drive atleast. Idk if intel use these chips so someone else can go into more detail.

I agree with Bobnova & Earthdog...make those suggested changes and you're good to go

Also, since you mentioned "the shop is waiting for the green light", why not just build this yourself? It is basically like using Legos. If they don't go together, you are probably doing it wrong.

The community here is built around the "do it yourself" aspect for computers. Join us. We will help with any questions that you have.

Also, since you mentioned "the shop is waiting for the green light", why not just build this yourself? It is basically like using Legos. If they don't go together, you are probably doing it wrong.

The community here is built around the "do it yourself" aspect for computers. Join us. We will help with any questions that you have.
LOL! I've always used the 'lego' way of describing building computers to family and friends. Thought it was funny reading someone else relate to it in the same way =D

Even if you went with the hardware you listed, but bought it from Newegg, you'd save around $400 or $500 by building it yourself.
Take into account that you can get Win7 64 bit Pro Full for $259 at newegg... or the OEM for $139... That lone is a minimum of $80 in savings and a possible $200 if you go with OEM.

The MoBo is also $60 cheaper at newegg... And you don't really need that MoBo for an everyday PC... you can replace that with this one and save even more money

The PSU is $40 less at newegg.

Drop the V10 cooler and get a Noctua NH-D14... Save $40

The HAF 932 is $20 cheaper at newegg

The RAM is $70 cheaper at newegg

The CPU is $50 cheaper at newegg

For the price of the 5850 at the shop, you can get a 1GB 5870 from newegg... Heck... You can even get one for less than the price they quoted you... See this one

So let's see...

Savings:
MoBo: $60
PSU: $40
Cooler: $40 And you get the best cooler for the i7 out there.
Case: $20
RAM: $70
CPU: $50
Video Card: $0 if you go with the XFX video card or $60 (after MIR) if you go with the Gigabyte card.

That's a total savings of $480 with the XFX video card or $540 if you go with the Gigabyte video card.

Why would you be willing to pay someone $500 to build you a computer? Don't do it... don't let them take you for a fool and make you over pay for the hardware.

Last edited:
Replace that V10 cooler with a Hyper 212+ and get a hell-of-alot better cooling for your money!

Most of everyone here could probably drop that number down $800. $2500 seems a little extreme...

Prices are in Canadian; about 10% less after exchange.
Yes, it is all overpriced.

I'm ordering this through the Canadian equivalent of the military service shop.
Attending RMC (read: Canadian WestPoint), we make about $600/mo after rations/quarters.
This shop (CANEX) offers a 0% interest policy. I graduate and my salary jumps 12 months from now. I'm taking the 36mo. policy, and paying in full after I graduate.

I am definitely putting this together myself. "Giving them a green light" was for ordering my parts.

----------------------------

Usage of 3x monitors is for research, essays, and other non-powerful applications. Do I currently need an adaptor?

I game on one monitor; the other two will be off.
Their other video card options are ridiculously priced.

----------------------------

I wanted the Vertex SSD, but they cannot order that model. I'm a little unhappy with no TRIM.

I'll cancel the power cord, thank you (& so does the enviornment).

I'll select a different mobo. Thanks for the advise. Perhaps you may suggest one of these to me... I'm interested in doing the graph/overclock with the CPU. It was a very interesting article. Thanks for posting it, overclockers.

Other options
Asus-SABERTOOTHX58 $249.99
Gigabyte X58A UD3R$269.99
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $349.99
MSI Big Bang-XPower LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $399.99
EVGA x58 sli skt 1366 INTEL x58/ich 10r,6ddr3-1600mhz 132-BL-E758-TR $399.99

CPU cooler, I will ask about the Noctua NH-D14.
Or
Corsair H50 $99.99
/H70 $129.99

Thank You!

For MoBo... Sabertooth or Gigabyte... No need to spend more money.

As for the GPU being able to handle 3 monitors at once... The 5850 you listed does have the necessary connectors to be able to feed three monitors (1 Displayport + 1 HDMI + 2 DVI). If you will only game on one screen, then you should have no problem with it. Keep in mind that if you're going to setup the 3 monitors (Eyefinity) at least one of the monitors must be plugged in to the GPU via the DisplayPort output, so if your monitors don't have DP inputs, you're going to need an active DP to DVI or DP to HDMI adaptor.

The Noctua will outperform the H50 at cooling your CPU and be on par with the H70, but why pay $50 more for similar performance?

Back