• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Ram and 4X2gb in Asus ASUS P7P55D-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SD-BVC897

Registered
Hi, I'm thinking of picking up two more sticks of these and take my system from 4 to 8gb..

RAM:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=42529&promoid=1068
Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24
MB:
ASUS P7P55D-E
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=48019&promoid=1146

So question is will four sticks of this ram work in DDR mode? I can't seem to find a solid answer?

Actually might make more sense to drop a hundred, then I'll have 16gb vs 8gb, Is this Ram Decent?

Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP 9-9-9-27
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=57869&promoid=1068

Thanks
Steinar

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're asking as far as "Will four sticks of this ram work in DDR mode?" With all four DIMM slots populated, the RAM will be running in a dual-channel configuration. The same as if you were running w/ two modules installed in either the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th DIMM slots.

Thanks, so it should work ok as long the ram is the same mfgr and spec. Part of my confusion comes from seeing that the ram for ddr is sold in kits!

I believe even if I use slower ram in one pair of slots the system will still function correctly but the faster ram will run at the slower speed? Is this correct?

What about what kommanderkodiak says?
Dont buy 2 kits and combine them you set yourself up for headaches when they don't work. If you want 8gb buy the 8gb kit not 2 4gb kits.

Thanks
SD

I'm not sure what you're asking as far as "Will four sticks of this ram work in DDR mode?" With all four DIMM slots populated, the RAM will be running in a dual-channel configuration. The same as if you were running w/ two modules installed in either the 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th DIMM slots.

I'm sorry i didnt respond fast enough, you can get instabilities BSODs or windows will say things like one of the sticks is broken cause the sticks were not binned together theyre not 100% compatible.
other times theyll read at 3.25gb on 64gb OS even when all the hardware supports more than 4gb you put in the same exact dims but from a proper 4gb/8gb kit and all 4/8GB register perfectly.

Its just alot less hassle, and even the manufactures on their websites will say not mix thme ill check g.skill right now and get your their disclaimer. You can find this under all their ram pages

Note : This memory is tested with Intel Core i7-3770K processor

1. The actual frequency of this memory on LGA1155 platform varied depending on the overclocking margin of the CPU/Motherboard installed.

2. A total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended for Windows 32-bit operation system. Please refer to Microsoft site for details: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

3. The default DIMM frequency depends on its SPD, which is the standard way of accessing information from a memory module. Under the default state, some memory modules for overclocking may operate at a lower frequency than the vendor-marked value.

4. G.SKILL guarantees module compatibility within this specific Quad Channel kit. Combining with other memory kit or module(even with same part number) is not recommended to avoid any compatibility issue.

this is their old disclaimer and most people didnt get it

*G.Skill guarantees 2 Dimms dual channel operation would reach announced specification

Thanks, I decided to go with 2-4gb. If I want I can fiddle around and try running the new ram with my older ram, if it works I'll run with 12gb and if not I'll run my new 8gb config.

From what I read it doesn't seem to be much advantage to run more than 8gb anyway.

Thanks
SD

I'm sorry i didnt respond fast enough, you can get instabilities BSODs or windows will say things like one of the sticks is broken cause the sticks were not binned together theyre not 100% compatible.
other times theyll read at 3.25gb on 64gb OS even when all the hardware supports more than 4gb you put in the same exact dims but from a proper 4gb/8gb kit and all 4/8GB register perfectly.

Its just alot less hassle, and even the manufactures on their websites will say not mix thme ill check g.skill right now and get your their disclaimer. You can find this under all their ram pages

Note : This memory is tested with Intel Core i7-3770K processor

1. The actual frequency of this memory on LGA1155 platform varied depending on the overclocking margin of the CPU/Motherboard installed.

2. A total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended for Windows 32-bit operation system. Please refer to Microsoft site for details: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

3. The default DIMM frequency depends on its SPD, which is the standard way of accessing information from a memory module. Under the default state, some memory modules for overclocking may operate at a lower frequency than the vendor-marked value.

4. G.SKILL guarantees module compatibility within this specific Quad Channel kit. Combining with other memory kit or module(even with same part number) is not recommended to avoid any compatibility issue.

this is their old disclaimer and most people didnt get it

*G.Skill guarantees 2 Dimms dual channel operation would reach announced specification

There actually is a couple uses for more than 8gb of ram like photoshop CAD CGI work and that sort of thing, but one thing is more practical with 64GBs of ram and that is ram disk/ ram cache which is a grouping of ram devoted to storage or rapidly running executables, respectively, where its around 5 times faster than the fastest SSDs. 64gb of ram is in the neighborhood of 4-500 bux. I'm sure theres someone here willing to talk at length about it

Yes, I do some limited Photoshop work and had thought of going to 16gb. I'll update this system to 8gb and then by the time MS fixes that abortion they call Win-8, It will be time for a new system and I'll go whole-hog then.

Thanks.
SD

There actually is a couple uses for more than 8gb of ram like photoshop CAD CGI work and that sort of thing, but one thing is more practical with 64GBs of ram and that is ram disk/ ram cache which is a grouping of ram devoted to storage or rapidly running executables, respectively, where its around 5 times faster than the fastest SSDs. 64gb of ram is in the neighborhood of 4-500 bux. I'm sure theres someone here willing to talk at length about it

Yes, I do some limited Photoshop work and had thought of going to 16gb. I'll update this system to 8gb and then by the time MS fixes that abortion they call Win-8, It will be time for a new system and I'll go whole-hog then.

Thanks.
SD

what kind of camera are you working with?(couldnt agree more with windows 8 sentiment)

Still shooting film Nikon FE2 and FG, reason being I'm heavily invested in some sweet lenses and would need to go full size sensor DSLR to keep using my existing glass.
I'm budgeting for a Nikon 700, who knows when that will come together though.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25444/D700.html

Problem is photography is all about the glass and I don't thing the newer lenses hold a candle to some of the old-school lenses.

SD

what kind of camera are you working with?(couldnt agree more with windows 8 sentiment)

Back