• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crapy thermaltake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ltfalcon9700

Registered
I just got a new Thermaltake Xaser II 5000 series from www.Newegg.com. When i got it i opened it up and then opend the front panel to the power switches when it just fell right off... I couldnt belive it, the hole case is like a freekn tank, it is almost all made out of steal. When i picked up the panel i found 2 little plastic stubs next to it. I looked to see were they came off of. I then realised that the were the hinges to the front accses door. I couldnt believe what i saw. The things must have been like 1/8 of an inch. They were the only things holding the 6 ounce front panel on. So i sent it back and now im stuck without a case for all my new comp parts. I was thinking of geting another thermaltake case (Thermaltake Xaser III Lanfire) but im not sure if i realy want to do that seeing how the first one i got was poorly designed. I dont want the same thing to happen though. So if some one could tell me a little more about the Lan fire case that would be great... or recommend a different one.

Last edited:
exactly why I dont buy thermaltake prodtucts (besides their fans), they are over-priced and have thermaltake printed ALL OVER IT like the xaser series...which i think is uber-tacky...even their mice and mousepads have thermaltake printed in big bold letters....

plz, do not buy anything from thermaltake EVER again...they are like intel, they will steal ur money away..beware!!!

I have a Xaser III steel case and an aluminum Cheiftec dragon case, and to tell the truth, the Cheiftec case is way better. My Xaser in my sig weighs almost 70 lbs. It definately isnt a lan party case. I would go with an aluminum Cheiftec case.

the aluminum Tt cases arent as heavy as steel. You can compare an aluminum case to a steel one.

I have a X3 and after modding it i dont have a prob with it at all. But if i could rewind time ide get an antec.

I like my Antec case its built really well and has plenty of room inside, I love all the little features it has such as removable hard drive cage and that sort of thing its all the little touches that make me really pleased with it.

I have seen a lot of people loving the Lite-On cases with space for 120mm fan's, I cant remember the model number off hand but people where buying them from newegg if I remember correctly.

-Chris

Also factor in the size, the LanFire is much smaller than the Tt regular Xaser series.

I have the Lanfire & while it's very nice (light as a feather) - there are some issues w/ it.

1. As mentioned it has Tt written all over it (the EL in the front is the worst)
2. It requires a mod out of the box - remove the front "fan cage"
3. I'm still undecided on the Fan controls - they're "okay"
4. It's pretty damn expensive, even for Al

On the Plus side -

1. It comes aparts in a snap, both sides & the top can be off in seconds.
2. The stock fans are VERY quiet
3. The case stays nice & cool (close to ambient)
4. It's very light
5. Modding Al is a breeze
6. The hinged front USB/Firewire cover is nice

The constuction on the Lanfire is good. The front bezel is held on with the usual 6 tabs. While it's not the easiest to remove it does hold it in place. The fit of the bezel is good & seems to be well made. The ease of panel removal is nice as it makes working on the case a snap (especially important for such a small case).

I also agree with everyone else, if I was getting the full sized version I'd probably skip the Tt & get the "generic" equivilent.

Bailey said:
On the Plus side -

1. It comes aparts in a snap, both sides & the top can be off in seconds.
2. The stock fans are VERY quiet
3. The case stays nice & cool (close to ambient)
4. It's very light
5. Modding Al is a breeze
6. The hinged front USB/Firewire cover is nice

I also agree with everyone else, if I was getting the full sized version I'd probably skip the Tt & get the "generic" equivilent.

but then again, those qualities u mentioned are almost in every other aluminum case...

i wouldnt buy thermaltake in the first place. so...

ya i love the antech cases they have awesome fans and a great look i just ordered my new case yesterday along with my Radion 9700 pro YEEEEEAAAAAA!!!!! Im so happy!
-Xander

He did, and was trying his best to help.

And considering the woeful thrashing you gave the english language in this thread I'd find a different way to phrase that last post.

Ltfalcon9700 said:
Ok......
i dont under stand what you said...

better?

Me you mean?

I meant that you should look at my sig- that what what I think of thermaltake.

And I meant to say that their products are ok for your everyday user who doesn't really care much about preformance and is more intrested in looks and being fancy but for a computer enthusiast it simply won't do. The preformance just isn't there.

almost in every other aluminum case
Exactly, which is why I said I would have bought the Antec/Chieftec equivilent if I had to do it over again.
what is that suppose to mean?
The front intake fan is in a cage, to get any kind of ariflow the cages needs to go. There are mounting holes for a 92mm fan, but you need to remove the grill to get it quiet. No big deal, just that "from the factory" isn't the best.

Back